Dr. agreed to give me a benzo

So, as all of you who know me on this site are aware, I have ocd, ptsd, anxiety and depression In addition
to a real crappy autoimmune disease that is not helping my state of mind. Told my dr that I am suicidal one day and not the next. Due to all the stuff I have going on and the fact that I am 63, he has agreed to let me take a small dose of klonopin every day indefinitely as long as I continue therapy which I definitely will. So, let’s hope this stops my benzo rants for a while. Please do not tell me about the addictive aspect of benzos, how they won’t work after a while, etc..... I already know all that and am ok with it. It’s still better than being gone....at least I think it is.....😁

Anonymous ID

Don't worry about what other people think, as long as you found a dr approved way of going on. The dr wouldn't give it to you if you didn't need it. I trust you and your dr know what your doing 😊

Gonz

₲‹›Ŋʑ
Wow, my docs are practically throwing benzos at me. I get three klonopin a day, plus prn ativan (works faster) for when I go out. I didn’t know they could be so hard to get. They’ve been the only thing (that’s okay to talk about on the forum) that’s put so much as a dent in my anxiety.

Wow, my docs are practically throwing benzos at me. I get three klonopin a day, plus prn ativan (works faster) for when I go out. I didn’t know they could be so hard to get. They’ve been the only thing (that’s okay to talk about on the forum) that’s put so much as a dent in my anxiety.
Given the addictive nature of all of that stuff, I am surprised that you get so much....but if It is keeping you alive, good for you.

Champagne

✯✯ Heart of an angel ✯✯
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Hi there, I'm so happy to read your doctors are willing to prescribe this for you for as long as you need to use it, I'm sure it will have a great effect on your anxiety levels and hopefully help your mood become more stabilised. Best of luck to you and please keep updated on how you are feeling *hug

You are welcome. Yes - on a max dose of a benzo, take it twice daily :) I couldn't survive without it, it has changed my life for the better and I have quite a history so to speak so doctors know I need to be on it and happily keep me on it, its a life changer :)
Good for you. It sounds like you have accepted that you need it and your doctors agree. I believe you are much younger than me (I am 63) .... do you plan on staying on them forever or do you not think that far ahead?

Champagne

✯✯ Heart of an angel ✯✯
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Good for you. It sounds like you have accepted that you need it and your doctors agree. I believe you are much younger than me (I am 63) .... do you plan on staying on them forever or do you not think that far ahead?
Yes, I have absolutely accepted that I need the benzodiazepine for life and the doctors (multiple consultant psychiatrists) agree I need it for life. I am reviewed from time to time but due to my PTSD/Anxiety being so severe I also see psychologists and use other local mental health services help.

I am happy to take the medicine twice daily, it helps me immensely, I feel near instant relief from fret, worry, fear and feel an improved mood, improved confidence, less worrying and basically a better quality of life. They sometimes get a bad reputation in the media/in real life but these medicines exist for us with real debilitating issues so I am not ashamed or embarrassed of needing them and I'm very grateful these medicines are available for us :)

I truly hope your medicine helps you as much as as mine helps me, keep us updated ok? I'm very interested in how you get on, I'm sure it will be a good experience like most medicines. Oh yes, around half your age ;) Best wishes :)

Yes, I have absolutely accepted that I need the benzodiazepine for life and the doctors (multiple consultant psychiatrists) agree I need it for life. I am reviewed from time to time but due to my PTSD/Anxiety being so severe I also see psychologists and use other local mental health services help.

I am happy to take the medicine twice daily, it helps me immensely, I feel near instant relief from fret, worry, fear and feel an improved mood, improved confidence, less worrying and basically a better quality of life. They sometimes get a bad reputation in the media/in real life but these medicines exist for us with real debilitating issues so I am not ashamed or embarrassed of needing them and I'm very grateful these medicines are available for us :)

I truly hope your medicine helps you as much as as mine helps me, keep us updated ok? I'm very interested in how you get on, I'm sure it will be a good experience like most medicines. Oh yes, around half your age ;) Best wishes :)
Will keep you posted.
just curious...are you in the United States? Reason I ask is doctors here do not like to give out the benzos all that freely..at least not in my state.

Champagne

✯✯ Heart of an angel ✯✯
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I'm in Europe but I read a lot about these types of medicines and keep up with the news of how other countries operate with these drugs and of course know that the doctors in the US are reluctant to prescribe these potentially addictive medicines (as well as opiates-the US opiate crisis is even on our news) unless they are confident they are going to be used correctly and that they are suitable for the person and there are little other options available to help the levels of anxiety/trauma. If they are confident you are going to use them as prescribed there is obviously a much lesser chance of addiction and better quality of life therefore the pros outweigh the cons.

Trust me, its not just in the US that this is the case. I know others here in western Europe who cannot access benzodiazepines for their anxiety and are instead often given anti psychotics, particularly if they think you have an addictive personality or are quite young and they do not want to risk getting you addicted to them at a young age. The doctors do have a moral aspect too I think, they don't want to see someone suffer needlessly if they feel a benzo will not be abused and will help the persons situation or on the other end get someone addicted to powerful drugs when they think it will be the case from the onset.

I know you don't want advice about them not working after a while etc.. but I am happy to let you know that I have been on the same dosage for a long time and they work just as effectively as day one, maybe I'm just very lucky? lol But I hope if you do happen to need them long term that the same works for you, be safe, be careful and most of all I hope your symptoms improve quickly :)

Wishing you the best as always, and merry christmas *hug

1964dodge

Has a frog in the family
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
@Champagne is correct about availability of benzos and opioids in the states. it's very difficult to get effective pain meds due to the opioid crises in the states. and where benzos are addictive they are cautious of those as well.

i think doctors should be very careful when prescribing any addictive medication, as well as make sure the patient actually needs it. they should also follow the patient closely at first so they can manage the medication.

i'm glad that your doctor finally prescribed them for you @Hopeiseverything because it's obvious that they can help you. and knowing the risks and benefits i'm sure that you and your doctor can work together to keep you well and safe. i take lorazepam for extreme anxiety so i only use 5 every month or 2 but they make a huge difference when i need them. i hope you get some relief from your new meds. and i know it's a little harder for you because i'm also 63. you deserve to be happy...mike...*hug*shake*bravo

@Champagne is correct about availability of benzos and opioids in the states. it's very difficult to get effective pain meds due to the opioid crises in the states. and where benzos are addictive they are cautious of those as well.

i think doctors should be very careful when prescribing any addictive medication, as well as make sure the patient actually needs it. they should also follow the patient closely at first so they can manage the medication.

i'm glad that your doctor finally prescribed them for you @Hopeiseverything because it's obvious that they can help you. and knowing the risks and benefits i'm sure that you and your doctor can work together to keep you well and safe. i take lorazepam for extreme anxiety so i only use 5 every month or 2 but they make a huge difference when i need them. i hope you get some relief from your new meds. and i know it's a little harder for you because i'm also 63. you deserve to be happy...mike...*hug*shake*bravo
Curious Mike, what would you say causes your extreme anxiety. Mine is my ptsd and/or ocd. My autoimmune disease is secondary...though it is horrible, without the ptsd from other events I think I could handle it.

I'm in Europe but I read a lot about these types of medicines and keep up with the news of how other countries operate with these drugs and of course know that the doctors in the US are reluctant to prescribe these potentially addictive medicines (as well as opiates-the US opiate crisis is even on our news) unless they are confident they are going to be used correctly and that they are suitable for the person and there are little other options available to help the levels of anxiety/trauma. If they are confident you are going to use them as prescribed there is obviously a much lesser chance of addiction and better quality of life therefore the pros outweigh the cons.

Trust me, its not just in the US that this is the case. I know others here in western Europe who cannot access benzodiazepines for their anxiety and are instead often given anti psychotics, particularly if they think you have an addictive personality or are quite young and they do not want to risk getting you addicted to them at a young age. The doctors do have a moral aspect too I think, they don't want to see someone suffer needlessly if they feel a benzo will not be abused and will help the persons situation or on the other end get someone addicted to powerful drugs when they think it will be the case from the onset.

I know you don't want advice about them not working after a while etc.. but I am happy to let you know that I have been on the same dosage for a long time and they work just as effectively as day one, maybe I'm just very lucky? lol But I hope if you do happen to need them long term that the same works for you, be safe, be careful and most of all I hope your symptoms improve quickly :)

Wishing you the best as always, and merry christmas *hug
Interesting thoughts...,thanks. as I know I have mentioned, I am 63 with a life limiting autoimmune disease so I don’t care about addiction. I need quality of life as quantity is probably not there. I do have a neighbor who takes Ativan 3 times a day and has for over 20 years. He is 60 and for the same reasons as me, at this point he doesn’t care......

1964dodge

Has a frog in the family
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
Curious Mike, what would you say causes your extreme anxiety. Mine is my ptsd and/or ocd. My autoimmune disease is secondary...though it is horrible, without the ptsd from other events I think I could handle it.
i can't really give a clear answer because i don't fully understand what causes it myself. i think it starts with high pain levels and realizing i can't do a lot of things i used to do because of illness mostly pain and severe copd. usually it's mild to moderate and i can control it.

sometimes it creeps up on me and the anxiety kind of builds upon itself. before i know it it's out of control. i've learned to recognize when i am in crises. that's when i take a lorazepam and usually talk with my wife until i calm down. we don't talk about my anxiety we talk about anything to distract me.

my doctor didn't want to give me lorazepam because it can have issues with decreasing breathing and since i'm on opioids for pain and they repress breathing also he was concerned especially with my copd. but after i came very closet o commiting suicide (friends stopped me in time ) he decided it was safer to give me the lorazepam. i only get 5 a month for emergencies. i hope this explains it. by the way merry christmas i hope you have a great christmas.

mike...*hug*hug10*shake

1964dodge

Has a frog in the family
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
Interesting thoughts...,thanks. as I know I have mentioned, I am 63 with a life limiting autoimmune disease so I don’t care about addiction. I need quality of life as quantity is probably not there. I do have a neighbor who takes Ativan 3 times a day and has for over 20 years. He is 60 and for the same reasons as me, at this point he doesn’t care......
in my opinion any addictive med should be given with care and responsibility. if you need these meds you should get whatever you need. what you actually need should be determined by an honest conversation with your doctor. and of course when we age and have health issues we lose some of our quality of life. so basically i think if it will improve your quality of life addiction issues are secondary. like me i'm obviously physically addicted to opioids but i couldn't live without them. i hope they find the right dosage to help you live a better life.

mike...*hug*shake

in my opinion any addictive med should be given with care and responsibility. if you need these meds you should get whatever you need. what you actually need should be determined by an honest conversation with your doctor. and of course when we age and have health issues we lose some of our quality of life. so basically i think if it will improve your quality of life addiction issues are secondary. like me i'm obviously physically addicted to opioids but i couldn't live without them. i hope they find the right dosage to help you live a better life.

mike...*hug*shake
Well all I will say is 1 mg of a benzo allowed me to have the enthusiasm To walk 5 miles yesterday...whereas I have not moved in months.....call it psychological .... call it what you want...but I was able to block negative thoughts and live my life ... something I have not done in a while. If I get addicted, become dependent, whatever, I do not care.

1964dodge

Has a frog in the family
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
Well all I will say is 1 mg of a benzo allowed me to have the enthusiasm To walk 5 miles yesterday...whereas I have not moved in months.....call it psychological .... call it what you want...but I was able to block negative thoughts and live my life ... something I have not done in a while. If I get addicted, become dependent, whatever, I do not care.
you are right 100%. you probably will get physically addicted if you take it every day just like me with my opioids. but if you are like me you won't get psychologically addicted. if it helps you to function and live a better life then it's a much needed med. the only thing i'm saying is any doctor should always monitor a patient on addictive meds. this way they know if they have to change the dose or med for effectiveness and drug interaction. it sounds like you have a good doctor. i hope it continues to work for you.

mike...*hug*shake

you are right 100%. you probably will get physically addicted if you take it every day just like me with my opioids. but if you are like me you won't get psychologically addicted. if it helps you to function and live a better life then it's a much needed med. the only thing i'm saying is any doctor should always monitor a patient on addictive meds. this way they know if they have to change the dose or med for effectiveness and drug interaction. it sounds like you have a good doctor. i hope it continues to work for you.

mike...*hug*shake
when you say psychologically addicted, what do you mean?

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00