Dr. Laura

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by pit, Sep 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pit

pit Well-Known Member

"Depression, shmepression. Cancer, now that's a real disease." - Dr. Laura Schlessinger

A lot of people still feel the same way. Depression to some people is like a toothache. Cancer gets all the attention, as it rightfully should. But you can't compare a mental disorder to a physical disorder. And before I forget, Dr. Laura is a complete moron about this.
  2. Tobes

Tobes Well-Known Member

What exactly is this woman a doctor of? And is she always such a disrespectful bitch?
  3. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

4. Tobes

Tobes Well-Known Member

Thanks aoeu. I was going to Google her name but decided not to for some strange reason.

Upon hearing the name and the quote that pit posted, I thought of the character 'Dr Nora' who was on an episode of Frasier years back, potrayed as an inconsiderate radio psychiatrist. I can even remember her saying something very similar to this Dr Laura quote about depression, but that may just be my brain playing tricks on me.

After skimming Dr Laura's wiki, I am assuming the Dr Nora character is based on her, and that it was quite accurate.

To contribute to a discussion - I can't believe that someone with a PhD in Physiology would say something so incredibly stupid. Does anyone know whether this quote was to a caller, or just a general statement?

EDIT- the discussion*, unless this thread is about how some people don't take depression seriously.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2010
  5. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

As much as it is stupid to throw out a generalized 'depression is not an illness' it's silly to think that a diagnosis of dysthymia or a diagnosis of major depressive disorder lacking any catatonic, psychotic, disassociative or melancholic symptoms is a mental illness. There's far too little distinction between mental illness and situational duress.
  6. Issaccs

Issaccs Well-Known Member

Like most things said by fundamentalists or wingnuts you should ignore it untill they publicly shame themselves by getting caught having affairs in public toilets.
    This is assuredly the right course here however my bet is that the toilets may be replaced by a pool boys van.
  7. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

she's a Stupid :censored::censored:

Mental illness can be terminal the same as cancer and causes just as much anguish ..
    It's due to people like her that the stigma to mental illness remains..

OOOOHH she makes me so mad.....
    How dare she say something like that when she obviously has no Idea what she's talking about...:censored:

I can only believe in karma..say no more...
  8. boo

boo Well-Known Member

Even an intelligent person can be stupid... c'est la vie.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.