Dramaturgical perspective

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by LightInTheDarkestNight, Jun 22, 2011.

1. LightInTheDarkestNight

LightInTheDarkestNight Well-Known Member

I found this interesting.

In my opinion I find this true. A person's identity is not a stable thing. People like to judge others based on the premises that it is. Humans are constantly changing depending on how others treat them and their circumstances. This is quite similar to the actor observer bias.

Regarding Dramaturgical sociology it is argued that human actions are dependent on time, place and audience, Basically the circumstances.

Back to the Dramaturgical perspective....

I totally agree what a person "really is" is undiscoverable but also arbitrary. Only an individual knows himself or herself best, trying to label or judge someone based on limited or even past interactions(many years ago) is quite futile. The context of someone's actions is very important observers like to think that someone's actions are due to stable dispositions, when in many cases that couldn't be further from the truth.

If you want to read more here is the link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dramaturgical_perspective#Dramaturgical_perspective

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2011
  2. LightInTheDarkestNight

Sort of off topic but yeah.

Relating to my life if I went a bit "crazy" temporarily due to physical and some mental issues largely due to the abuse I suffered from others. Abuse from others can make you go "crazy", temporarily, this totally fits in with the Dramaturgical perspective. Also if you get used, manipulated abused and revictimized you will often get into a negative and worrying state of mind as I did two months ago, or even 14 months ago.

I certainly do have a legitimate denial of awareness claim. However that's not to say my general awareness is totally out of whack, or I'm a chronic "mentally ill" person. I'm a very perceptive person I can take in many details at once.

3. LightInTheDarkestNight

It bugs me that people like attribute things to someone's character when in reality many times situational. Not that people don't have some level or degree of inherent traits.

When you know someone well such as family or close friends your less likely to succumb to the actor oberserver bias, because you have much more information about their needs, motivations and thoughts. Therefore you can account for external forces that impact their behavior.

So yeah when it's a stranger or someone you don't know well at all. You get labeled and judged and none of the external forces are taken into account...

My :rant: for the day

4. LightInTheDarkestNight

Bump.. this is an interesting read it relates a lot to my life as well..

People are forever changing due to their interactions with others, the context or circumstance of their actions and life are quite important...