Dreaded doctors appointment was today...

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by feathers, Aug 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. feathers

feathers Well-Known Member

Dreaded doctors appointment was today. I was worried that she wouldn't take me seriously, and I was right. She referred me to the psych, I think because she has to if someone is self harming. But she was talking about using ice cubes as to not self harm, or elastic bands, being like, "remember what we talked about last time?" as if I was some stupid kid.

Also asked me to show her my arms, and talked about previous problems I'd been to her with, even with my boyfriend there. Professional.

Then best of all, showed me how much she wasn't taking me seriously, by saying "we all have ups and downs in our lives, we just need to learn to cope with the downs", as if all this is, is me having a 'down', forgetting that I just told her I was cutting and suicidal.

Awesome.

Can't wait to see the psych and talk to someone who knows what they're going on about. Hopefully.

Although I'm worried nothing can be done... What if the psych has the same attitude, that there isn't really a problem... This is like the 7 or 8th time I've had a period of depression in the last 5 years, and they're getting worse... The last 3 times I've been suicidal and the last 2 times I've been cutting.

What if it's hopeless? What if my depression periods are here and over too quick for them to do anything about it? They last a few months and by the time I get to a psych after the waiting list, it's gone, and I'm fine, and by then there's nothing that can be done...

And if I don't get someone actually believing that I am depressed, I'm going to feel hopeless, like I'm just wasting everyone's time, causing a load of fuss with my boyfriend by crying randomly for no reason and cutting, and just generally feeling like I don't deserve help, or am not even bad enough to get it... Like I'm just some stupid attention seeking kid, like the doctor seems to think I am.

Can anything be done for this type of depression?

K x

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2010
  2. max0718

max0718 Well-Known Member

Hi Kazine,

I'm sorry your doctor didn't take you seriously. She should know better. Sadly, it is my experience that some family medicine doctors don't understand mental problems all that well. I think you need to deal with depression on a daily basis to truly understand it's debilitating effects.

I doubt if you'll get the same kind of treatment from your psych. So hang in there and don't give up because of some insensitive doctor who doesn't really understand your pain.

As far as the depression goes, there are a lot of things you can do to help. I think for me the three big things to get right before any thing else (and I'm by no means perfect in this regard :) ) is
    - Excercise
    - Diet
    - Sleep pattern.

At the moment I'm 0 for 3 on that front. I think those 3 things give you a good base to work from, and for any additional treatments to build onto.

Hope all goes well with your psych! I'm sure it will.

All the best

3. feathers

Thanks for your reply. nice quote in your sig, too.

4. paul777

paul777 Well-Known Member

I'm glad you have gotten some help. I know it sounds cheesy but it really helps to talk to a professional.

I wouldn't worry about them not taking you seriously. If you cut regularly there is something wrong.

Hope you keep it up, give yourself a chance, you are alittle bit hard on yourself in my opinion.

Tc

5. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

I'm sorry you feel invalidated but I do think she took you seriously. She doesn't have to make a referral for self harm (I self harmed for ages without a referral). She made the referral because she heard how you feel.

I'm sorry you feel she was unprofessional by mentioning previous things with your boyfriend in the room. I would presume that she presumed that because you brought him into the room (into the confidential space) that you were ok with him hearing those things. I would say if you go back and he is there and she raises anything, then stop her if you are not comfortable with your boyfriend hearing those things.

I also believe that the way she said what she said was maybe not ideal, but it is true that life does have ups and downs. Often self harm is a coping strategy (as you probably know) and it develops when someone has not been taught healthier coping strategies, so in that sense it can be a case of learning how to cope with the downs (i.e. being taught healthier coping strategies, such as with CBT). I think her wording was poor, but what she said was accurate. By saying that she is actually hearing how tough things are and that you need help and support with that area, which is actually a good thing.

I hope that the psych you see offers you something you feel will be beneficial. It might be worth thinking what you think will help you, and then mention that at the appointment.

Good luck :) Remember, whatever you feel happened at the appointment, you have been referred and will hopefully get the support you feel you need.

6. feathers

thank you both for your replies. scum, what you said about the doctor may be true, but I don't think I'll be going back to see her anyway. Didn't like the vibe she gives off and I dreaded just going to see her again :\

7. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

I think its very wise not to go back and see her if you got bad vibes from her. Hopefully there will be a different doc there you can try. At my practice there are about 7 and only one I will see (although another I will see if I have to). Hopefully there will be someone there who you feel comfortable with and validated by.

8. feathers

Yeah there's one I used to see, and I was going to go and see him this time but he is on holiday for 2 weeks so I just wentto see her again. Never again.

Thanks for your reply :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.