Dream, anyone?

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by Gato, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Gato

Gato Member

OK. This might sound sick, but hey, this is the coffee house, right? More often than not, I can make myself dream about a particular situation in my sleep. You've done that to, right? You go to bed and while relaxing, you focus on this situation you want to see come up in a dream. Sometimes you are aware you are dreaming, but sometimes it just doesn't occur to you, and the dream is, for a moment, the reality. I've been trying for a few days now to dream about standing on the edge of a cliff, just to see how I would handle it. Unfortunately, so far, no luck. The dream just has not come up yet. Anybody has this sort of thoughts about dreams?

2. baywasp

baywasp The crappiest rugger

I don't usually try to control my dreams. Doubt I'd be successful anyway. Unless I tried to dream about rugby and/or my teammates, which is what usually happens for me anyway.

3. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

I usually don't even remember mine. Rare I do but they're nothing related to my current thought.

4. ghostbusters

ghostbusters Member

Are you practicing lucid dreaming? I never tried that but it seems so interesting. When I dream I'm always aware of it and I can control it in a way but not on a lucid dreaming level. Also, I can wake myself up whenever I want to, which I usually do by closing my eyes, but sometimes I'm standing close to the edge of some high building or cliff, and I dont have time to properly wake myself up before something from my nightmare reaches me, so I just jump, because killing myself also does that. To me the jump itself is liberating and terrifying at the same time.

5. Gato

Gato Member

No, not practicing lucid dreaming, only setting my mind as I drift into sleep to dream about something specific. Most of the time I get to see or do what I was setting my mind for, but I've never been able to reach the edge of a building or cliff. The edge is moving back as I'm trying to approach it. Most other scenarios I'll be able to approach, even touch, anything I want. Anything but the edge of something high. But then I can dream I'm flying. It's just troubling.

6. Brittless

Brittless Well-Known Member

Were you aware you were dreaming while you were dreaming? If so then it really is lucid dreaming and I love that sort of stuff. It's really interesting that you can sort of guide your dreams before you fall asleep. I think I have only been able to do that once. I'm not very successful at it when I try.

But I have lucid dreamed quite a bit and I have to say it's happened naturally more often then not, other times it was like being aware took a lot of energy from me and was really hard to try and control the dream while sleeping. It just warped it more. If you are aware then you are most likely lucid dreaming.