'Dream Team' Agrees Huge Asteroid Killed Dinosaurs

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Mordeci, Mar 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mordeci

Mordeci Banned Member

2. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2010
  3. corang

corang Well-Known Member

Me and my dad talk about that sometimes and his theory is disease. An asteroid killing giant dinosaurs and leaving small fragile things because they were underwater when the cloud of destruction came to their area is kinda strange. Diseases like HIV dont bother monkeys much but kills humans, a disease can effect differant species differantly.

That just makes more sense to me than an asteroid destroyed everything but left plenty of food for animals that survived. Who knows maybe plants poisoned animals in Africa a certain type of tree killed A LOT of gazelle (or something similar) during a drought when that was the major food source they could get. The tree made a crapload more poison in its leaves killing the gazelle (who could tolerate the poison in normal amounts).

4. lightbeam

lightbeam Antiquities Friend

Interesting theories....

5. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

It's a thought, Corang, but only extremely rarely can a disease wipe out a single species... In fact, diseases outside of post-agricultural-revolution societies are fairly harmless. It's only in our cities and feedlots that there is sufficient density to maintain a major pandemic - to wipe out many thousands of species over many phyla over the entire poorly populated planet would require a supremely effective pathogen unlike anything I can even imagine and certainly unlike anything that's ever been seen.

6. corang

corang Well-Known Member

The disease doesnt have to kill every single animal of a species to make it extinct it just has to make the population drop so much that it cant rebound. A plant could do what the trees did in Africa then if another dinosaur comes over and eats the one that was killed by poison it gets poisoned. It could be similar to The Happening (exept it isnt airborn) where its a bunch of plants kill what eats it not just one plant species decides its angry.

So the plant eatting dinosaurs die of poison carnivours eat those dinosaurs die of poison a bunch of species population drops dramatically and they cant procreate enough to keep it going. Plus the food supply for everything being small wouldnt help. Ya the odds of that happening are insane but the odds that almost all dinosaurs going extinct like they did werent that great either.

Actually this post is saying it was poison instead of disease so who knows it could have been a lot of things. It could have even been a lot of things happening all at once.

7. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Yeah, I considered that, but it has to get pretty close.

8. Young suicider

Young suicider Well-Known Member

where's the crater?you can't tell me a huge asteroid hit earth and there is no physical sign

9. corang

corang Well-Known Member

Theres actually a lot of really big craters even a few giant ones but that doesnt mean much besides we got hit by a bunch of asteroids. None of them seem to stick out as being so massive it could have caused world wide extinctions to me. Show me a crater = nothing special. Show me a giant crater and a layer of bones world wide where it looks like everything suddenly died and Ill be amazed. The KT boundary shows something hit earth and rained down debri (sp?) but I dont see any bones whenever they show it on T.V. saying "look a layer of stuff thats when they died".

10. Young suicider

Do they realize how big/or how many huge asteroids that would have to hit earth to kill everything!

How would civilization restart from nothing again so fast?

How did the Aligator survive?

11. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

The crater for this particular impact is in Mexico. It was a huge meteor.

It restarts quickly because the surviving species thrive with little competition - humans expanded AGAINST competition to encompass the earth in 40,000 years, an instant in geological time. The thing is that there's much fewer species, this took millions of years to recover as the surviving animals underwent speciation. The number of individual animals would recover quickly, if it even fell.

Some things survived.

I don't think the death rate would be particularly high following the crater - it would be about normal, plus maybe a few percent; things die pretty regularly even without massive extinction events. Fewer births would be the main effect.

And the vast majority of animals don't leave fossils anyhow.

12. Young suicider

when it comes to something like this I will never beleive one thing

13. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

What the? I didn't know there were people who denied that an asteroid and its subsequent devastation on the Earth caused the extinction of the dinosaurs...

14. Prinnctopher's Belt

I'm trying to figure out why this is news when it's been common knowledge that this is what happened for many, many decades.

15. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Because it's not? There are other possible explanations, and there's some data that implies the asteroid happened a third of a million years before the K-T extinction event. It's been seen as probable for a long time, but there's no conclusive evidence and this most recent paper still doesn't prove it. 65 million years is a long time, and things can get distorted over that time frame.

16. Prinnctopher's Belt

What's so hard to understand about it? Asteroid strikes, crashes, created large plume, tsunamis, etc. Devastates vegetation, other animals, puts the Earth in darkness for how many years? Species as large as dinosaurs with such large diet can't be expected to live for years on end with a decreasing supply of food. It's far more likely this is actually the case, rather than accepting any small "probability" that some other vague event occurred.

It's not the asteroid itself that has to be large enough to cause all of this (and this was a big asteroid, causing a creater 120 miles wide? Good lord!), it's the after effects the impact will leave behind that can kill entire species. I'm not certain at all on this, but wasn't one of the after effects a loss in oxygen in the Earth's atmosphere? More oxygen, larger creatures.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2010
  17. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

There's a difference between "understandable" and "actually happened". It's understandable that extraterrestrial life exists and that some alien society decided that biodiversity on earth was too extensive and they came down, laser's ablazin', to fix that, and the asteroid impacting about the same time was just a coincidence.

I'd assign that a very small probability, though... Supervolcanoes seem more likely to me, and a meteor impact still more likely. But there's no way to know for certain (because time is strictly one-way) and so no one -knows- that meteors were the cause, despite it being "common knowledge". This paper assigns a higher probability to the meteor theory than previously given in scientific circles, and that's why it's news.

18. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

I've always believed that the extinction was caused by a convergence of factors, amplifying one another. I understand that such an occurrence is pretty low probability-wise though.

19. Young suicider

Was anyone there?...anyone...no!I don't care what you say,no idea is accurate and is 100% guess!

20. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

I agree that they're not accurate, but they're certainly not random guesses. There is evidence that quite clearly demonstrates that certain occurrences are more probable than others - for instance, the 65 million year old world-ending-sized crater in Mexico makes a strong (but not certain) case towards a meteor impact causing massive destruction.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.