dreaming of rape

Discussion in 'Rape and Abuse' started by morning rush, Jul 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

Lately I've been dreaming that my dad wants to rape me or rapes me against my will. In real life my dad never raped me...so why am I dreaming this? It is certainly not wanted and when I wake up makes me feel so bad....in the dream, sometimes I fight back, other times I let him do it just so he could leave me alone...

my dad was an abuser however, he was violent and mentally abusive....

2. Mayflower7

Mayflower7 Banned Member

Hi Morningrush,
    I am sorry this is troubling you, dreams are odd. Maybe related to being scared of your dad, I don't know.
    Are you sure not triggers? Or nightmares? Do you have any symptoms of sexual abuse?
    If you are having therapy, then your therapist can work through these issues.
    Take care
    Kate

3. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

I've been mentally abused by my dad but never raped or sexually abused. I just don't know why I dreamt of that twice. The first time I fought for dear life and the other time I just let him do it so it would be over...and I feel so disgusted with myself...I'm not in therapy, I've been in therapy for most of my life though so I'm not going there again...

4. Mayflower7

Mayflower7 Banned Member

Hi Morning Rush,
    I hope it get's easier for you, please don't be disgusted with yourself. Often in traumatic situations the body can freeze, nobody should ever harm you. Are you frightened of being raped maybe? Feeling vulnerable perhaps? Have your mobile with you always and phone for help. Victims often can't fight of attackers for many reasons, that does not mean you deserved it, rape shouldn't happen. Victims can be so afraid it happens, because of previous violence or threats of violence/damage etc. It is still rape. I just wanted to clarify, I know you said happened in your dreams.
    Has anything triggered this? Like contact with your dad or someone else maybe? Please only discuss if you can. I don't want to make you feel worse.
    Take care
    Kate

5. themute

themute Active Member

Hi Morning Rush, that sounds really awful. Please don't be disgusted with yourself, I really believe that we can't control out dreams, just like we can't control life. When I am extremely depressed I too have nightmares where I am being raped or men are trying to rape me. While these men are never my father, they are men who I feel uncomfortable or unsafe around in real life. If your dad is physically and mentally abusive then maybe your dream mind or subconscious or whatever has taken this to the extreme? To be honest I think dreams like this are probably more common than you think, it's just people don't talk about them. I hope you're able to feel better soon and I hope you have nice dreams now too <3

6. ronnymarie

ronnymarie Guest

Hon, I think there is more than one way to be raped. Being abused in any fashion by a caretaker or parent is a violation of your innocence and trust. Your father violated you emotionally and mentally, and your subconscious mind is just trying to deal with this. You have no reason to be ashamed. I hope you can find a way to deal with the damage your dad did, so you can have some pleasant dreams and peace, both asleep and awake.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.