drinking - the reverse effect

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by downnout, Apr 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. downnout

downnout Well-Known Member

Does anyone else get this? For the past four years when I'm at parties, all of my friends say I'm finally 'normal' only after i've had a few drinks, and even when i've gotten to the point of getting sick ppl couldn't believe it because I was acting so 'normal' and 'with it'. I think it kills my (extreme) anxiety, but why can't anxiety medications have the same effect? Nothing gets me back 'into the world', feeling the breeze again, thinking CLEARLY, and feeling grounded than being drunk. Which technically isn't supposed to be the case. I don't think I know what it's like to actually be 'drunk' in the traditional sense. I haven't shared this with my psych b/c i'm embarassed and i think he'd just prescribe more anti-anxiety meds, which simply don't have the same effect. i don't want to become an alcoholic, but seriously, if it works...??
  2. theleastofthese

theleastofthese SF Friend Staff Alumni

No, NO, it doesn't "work". Trust me, as a recovering alcoholic, booze DOES NOT WORK. Please tell your doctor about this. Taking anti anxiety meds on top of drinking could land you in a COFFIN. I am serious. Please stop drinking. I don't care what your friends say about how "normal" you seem, you are playing with fire and you WILL get burned if you continue.

I decided to stop drinking at the beginning of the year. I've had more relapses since then than I'd like to count. I now have over two weeks sober time. I found a site that helps me as much as AA has: www.soberrecovery.com There are many helpful supportive loving people there, just as there are here. It's a great source of support and friendship, just like here, just like in AA. Please check it out. tell them what you've said here. You will get yourself in real trouble if you continue what you're doing. We care. THey care too. Use us both to save yourself.

I care. I know what I'm talking about. Please don't play russian roulette with all the chambers loaded.:sad:

3. gag

gag Well-Known Member

Although booze does numb away your anxiety temporarily, you'll end up making an ass of your self as a result of drinking, and that'll just make the anxiety worse. Then you'll drink to feel better, and it gets worse and you drink more, it's a shitty pattern to get stuck in.

Don't do it.
  4. perry_mason

perry_mason Well-Known Member

the only problem with that is the fact that it is the drink talking and its not the real you even if it does seem to make a positive impression.

I've been the same, people think im much cooler and laid back when ive had a few but the problem with me is that it is never just 'a few' and i end up going from a nice friendly person to an angry, (even more) depressed idiot and end up making things a lot worse.

Im not saying you are or could be the same way and even though you seem to think it works and improves your personality around your friends, you are letting the drink take control of you.
  5. Right U R Ken

Right U R Ken Well-Known Member

You're NOT normal and "with it" while drunk. You're just drunk. You and your so called friends only think you're normal but you"re not. Your friends like you drunk becase they're drunk too. You are on a path to severe alcoholism that is literally going to ruin your life. The alcohol isn't working. It only makes you THINK that it does.

BTW if you think I'm being hard on you I'm not. The alcohol is going to be a million times harder on you. And no, you will not be an exception. Everyone thinks it's different for them. That is NEVER the case.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.