Drinking Water

Discussion in 'Self Care and Healthy Lifestyles' started by ScouseJM, May 31, 2008.

1. ScouseJM

ScouseJM Well-Known Member

So, I have never been the kind of person to drink water. Back at my parents' when I was younger they always bought sprite and other lemonades and little else. When I first moved out I changed to juices completely. I never liked water, I dont like the taste of it much but I have still tried several times to force myself to drink it more because its good for your body. Most recent attempt is today. Been doin sort of well only that I get the feeling it makes me a lot more thirsty. Shouldnt it be the opposite? My mouth has been really dry all day too. I dont really get it :dunno:
  2. BioHomocide

BioHomocide Well-Known Member

Well water has no taste and your brain is used to having all that sugar.... It could also be a little dehydration.

After a week or so of nothing but water your body should get used it.
  3. aki

aki Well-Known Member

Water makes me even more thirsty as well :blink: weird lol
  4. ggg456

ggg456 Guest

Yeah like Mr Everybody said- sugar can dehydrate so maybe you're just generally dehydrated and not used to water. If you're feeling dry then drink more? Maybe your body is just not used to water just yet. You generally need 6-8 glasses a day..
  5. starchild

starchild Well-Known Member

I drink quite alot of water mainly because it helps to hydrate my skin, and also it's a better option than drinking fizzy drinks or anything with caffine.
  6. ScouseJM

ive been doin this for 5 days now, personal record lol... its gettin better i think
  7. Spearmint

Spearmint Well-Known Member

I looooove water. :wub:
  8. Epical Taylz

Epical Taylz Well-Known Member

water doesnt have a taste, but i think that maybe your body isnt use to not having
    anything sweet. its use to all the sugars.

my opinion is that sense you never really drank water, that you could become sick
    from drinking TOO much of it

i would try drinking it little by little, or i would just stick to what you have been drinking
  9. The_Discarded

The_Discarded Staff Alumni

That's really weird. :unsure:
    WATER is the SHIT, MAN :wub:
  10. ScouseJM

:laugh: gesicht

I dont think I can get sick from this, its not like Im downin it like theres no tomorrow :laugh:

A bottle a day, which is still under the recommended amount.. but its a start
  11. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

I always only drank water. :smile:
    I was the one kid that would go ew soda no way. Same for beer. hahah. How lame. I try to be funny at least. At parties I'll always ask if there's any milk, just cuz it seems like milk would be the lamest thing to have if everyon else is drinking beer.
  12. The_Discarded

The_Discarded Staff Alumni

You'll be fine :laugh:

13. downunder

downunder Well-Known Member

You can get sick from drinking too much water, I have done it. But it has to be ridiculously huges amounts such as 4 litres or more in a couple of hours.
  14. Alexpt2

Alexpt2 Well-Known Member

Actually you can die from drinking too much water too fast. There's been a few documented cases of people dying from water intoxication. It can cause electrolyte imbalances and make the brain swell up if consumed too fast. I remember seeing a news story where this college kid died during a fraternity hazing ritual. The kid comsumed something like 5 gallons of water in 2 hours or something crazy like that.

That's why I stick with scotch myself. :biggrin:

But in seriousness, drinking 8-10 glasses spaced out over a whole day is very healthy for you. Good for the kidneys and helps flush toxins out of the body.
  15. furgittit

furgittit New Member

I beg to differ to those who say water doesn't have a taste. I can verify that water does have a taste and smell, particular to the region it comes from. I cannot drink much water unless it is purified and then only in small amounts as I will vomit the water as the smell and the taste are horrific to me.

Water runs through dirt (oceans, rivers, ponds, fish, feces, urine, etc) or through the ground, then it flows through pipes (mould, mildew, bugs etc) then through a well (only on acreages, more dirt, bugs, feces etc.) or if you are really lucky and have City water, it is cleaned through their "secret process" and chemicals are added that add the lovely bleach smell and flavour that comes out of the tap.

All in all to me (I am not saying everyone) water tastes like dirt (you know that flavour you get in your mouth when the wind picks up and you are talking and dust gets blown in your mouth), smells like dirt or bleach (pick your poison). It is very tough to find even a bottled water that I can consume because eventually it ends up tasting like dirt as well.

No matter how much water I drink (I have tried the 8 glasses a day) I end up thirstier (due to vomiting perhaps) so I will stick with my can of coke (or a slurpee mmm. slurpee and my milk.

Just to let you know you can become intoxicated and even die from drinking too much water. A couple of years ago there was a contest for a video game system (in the US) and the contest was a drink as much water as you can contest, well the winner of the contest made it home from the contest and then was rushed to the hospital with "water intoxication". She died and her kid got a new video game system. So if you like water remember to drink it in moderation as with everything else.
  16. Angelo_91

Angelo_91 Well-Known Member

water ftw.
  17. Lyse

Lyse Guest

I drink so little water that I'm surprised my kidneys don't constantly hurt. I think they do at times, but it's not often.

I almost only drink strong tea or Pepsi Max. Even Pepsi Max contains caffeine, which dehydrates, but the tea I make is so strong that it should only dehydrate. I don't get how it's possible... I wonder if my body is unique in some way? It was the same at a time when I ate very little for a long time and was severely underweight; I had left blood tests and all levels showed up being perfectly normal. When I asked the doctor how that's possible since I eat so little, she just said it was a good question and looked at me as if I was lying. I didn't even use to take vitamin supplements and such. Hmm...