Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Izora, Aug 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Izora

Izora Member

I have started to drink when I feel sad. I know that this is only avoiding the situation but sometimes I think it's better that dealing with the thoughts that go through my head when I'm sad. I don't like the person I become when I'm sad. I'm like a child scared and alone begging for help to the point where I just don't want to ever feel again. But if I drink I don't have to be that person... I know it's wrong but I don't want to go back to that dark place. I'm scared of what might happen if I do.
  2. prakash

prakash Well-Known Member

drinking is a common quick, temporary cure for depression. When you are drunk, you feel happy for a while and forget your sorrows. But this is never a permanent solution. The downside is that you will get addicted to drinking and then waste money on it. Excessive drinking will ruin your health. So, drinking is to avoided. It is like drugs. In US, and the West drugs are considered bad but alcohol is considered OK. This is a grave mistake. Alcohol is like drugs. Let us avoid all kinds of drugs. The best cure for depression is to try to get happiness through success at work and in social relations, to earn money, to avoid bad company, to avoid company of people with negative thoughts, to avoid company of people whose thoughts are rotten and degraded, to seek therapy, to meditate and to get advice of wise people.
  3. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

I do the same thing, and I can tell you it's not better than facing things head on. The issues are still there, I'm just wasting money, ruining my health and well-being, and trying to bury feelings I can't deal with. You can get addicted very easily, that's what happened to me, and I wouldn't want that to happen to you, or anyone else really. I know it can be hard to cope with everything, but please try and find more positive coping mechanisms, whether it's talking here, just anything really that helps instead of hinders you.
  4. Snowvelvet

Snowvelvet Member

I know how you feel OP. When I am drunk it takes away the pain. But it does make the depression worst. Please take care of yourself.
  5. Ihavenoname

Ihavenoname New Member

I have also started drinking recently.I was spending all my money on alcohol and depressed because I couldn't afford food after.Drinking seems like the only thing which makes me happy and enjoy life.Im sociable and outgoing.When I'm sober I'm not excited about anything and nobody wants to be around me.I know I need help and am looking into AA meetings.I want to be happy without alcohol.
  6. rtrt46546565

rtrt46546565 Well-Known Member

Pretty much the same for me. Though, it doesn't necessarily make me happy, it's more that it numbs the bad feelings so I feel more content overall.

I'm just gonna say it: I love drinking. Yeah, I know it's only a temporary fix and all that, but man does it help. I could easily become an alcoholic. But I know that'd bring problems of its own so therefore I don't overdue it. If I had health insurance or money, then maybe I could get meds that'd help me, but right now, alcohol seems like my only medication.
  7. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

Technically, alcohol is a depressant, which means that even while it feels like it makes things better on the short term, it only increases the effects of long term depression... and the more often it is used for the short relief, the more long term the overall depression technically becomes. Add to this that if someone is on specific medications to treat depression, bipolar, ADHD, or any other similar mental situation, the alcohol often is nullifying the effectiveness of the actual medications themselves.

While I don't drink myself, I don't have anything against alcohol when used socially - even sometimes to a little excess as long as safety precautions are considerations (designated drivers, etc.). That said, my own personal belief is that alcohol is best consumed when happy and celebrating rather than as a short term remedy for feeling down. As stated, while it may have temporary effects that seem positive, the long term results often only contribute further to the root cause.
  8. Witty_Sarcasm

Same for me too...except I already am an alcoholic. Not that it really matters anymore, because I've already accepted my ultimate end. I understand the no insurance thing, because I'm in the same boat. But hopefully you can find an insurance program that gives you free or low-cost coverage.
  9. rtrt46546565

^I've come pretty close to becoming one, but I've always been too worried about it affecting my health. I have enough problems as it is and the last thing I need is more, as tempting as it is to constantly drink myself numb. I hope it doesn't affect your health and you end up okay.

Why don't you have insurance? Just don't qualify like me? Seeing as we're in the same state, have you come across any programs like that?(I'm assuming no since you don't have insurance, either, but figured I'd ask.) There is the Adult Medical Program(Not sure if you've heard of it.), for people who don't qualify for Medicaid, but I just called a few weeks ago and it said they're not accepting new applicants right now. Apparently, Michigan is supposed to be expanding its Medicaid program in April so that more people qualify, so I'll see how that goes. Maybe you could get it then, too.
  10. Witty_Sarcasm

I don't worry about it affecting my health, and I'm sure it's already taken its toll. The fact that you don't want to ruin your health is good, it's obvious you do have some hope left and I hope you keep working on that towards making a better life for yourself.

I can't qualify either...even though I know I'm within the income range...unless they take other things into account. It will be hard to wait until April, and I'm afraid I'll get turned down from anything I apply for. I hope that you will be able to get in if you apply then.
  11. rtrt46546565

^Yeah, I do still have a bit of hope left. Not sure how long I can hold onto it, though. :/ I hope you also have at least some left, even if it's so deep down you hardly notice it.

Right now, just having a low income isn't enough, that's what's supposed to change in April. More low income/poor people are supposed to qualify then. Don't be afraid to apply, if you already know you're within the income range then you should be able to get it. :)
  12. I got alcohol dependent. It almost killed me. Detox without medical supervision is dangerous. Fake a medical issue at an emergency room and inform them you have a dependency on alcohol. Youll get seen right away and give you the right meds to make the drying out tolerable. After that hit the meetings, i was skeptical but it helps alot. To this day i back slide into drinking. I dont know if i canever stop completely, which is another source of my depression. Im so weak. I want to stop but im so scared facing my issues without being numb its breaking me
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2013
  13. helpme24

helpme24 Member

I understand, I feel that when I am drunk it relieves stress and causes my mind to expand from the same thoughts that circle in my head. I hate feeling a sense of loosing control but I feel it helps me.
  14. redrobin62

redrobin62 Active Member

I'm a true blue alcoholic. Have been for years. I stopped drinking 3 months ago and entered outpatient rehab. I 'm still there. I also go to AA/NA meetings. I'm still depressed and suicidal, though. Somehow, I feel like I'm going to go back to drinking, but probably not until I finish with all this outpatient stuff. Life just doesn't seem better or happier to me. I'm as depressed as I ever was, maybe even more so.
  15. redrobin62

redrobin62 Active Member

Update: I relapsed. I knew it was going to happen someday. I didn't think it'd be this soon, though.
  16. BernardFoster

BernardFoster Active Member

I know how you feel T_T majority of my nights I spend most on drinking.. dont be scared you are not alone.. tomorrow the sun will shine for all of us.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.