Drinking

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by *dilligaf*, Nov 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. *dilligaf*

*dilligaf* Staff Alumni

Sorry if this has already been done before... :unsure:

When do people think that drinking becomes a problem?
    What is drinking "too much" ?

Someone told me last night I was following in my uncles footsteps......he was an alcholic :mellow:

2. Marshmallow

Marshmallow Staff Alumni

Hun in now way are you following in Barry's footsteps. Phillip even said he was joking. You yourself admit youdrink too much. As long as you don't depend on alcohol daily basis then your pretty much okay.

3. me1

me1 Well-Known Member

When you run out or when you're asleep? :wink:

4. rwillson

rwillson Well-Known Member

for myself and my experience with addiction (although not alcohol, i never liked drinking, and drinking like an alcoholic is hard work, learned that on a three day trip to Vegas, i don't know how people do it but those three days of solid drinking near killed me). back to the subject...

i think it becomes a problem when it starts to interfere with everyday life, that would be the most obvious sign. of course there are functioning alcoholics and addicts everywhere. you might ask yourself, how often do you drink??? when you drink do you always get drunk??? are you driven to drink (meaning do you feel uncomfortable not drinking in social and other situations, do you feel you have to drink)??? can you deal with life's problems and your emotions without drinking???

there are so many questions one can ask, you might just go to a couple AA meetings and listen to what is being said and see if you identify with it or not...

r...

5. *dilligaf*

*dilligaf* Staff Alumni

Thank you all for your replies...

I'm gonna try and answer your questions :unsure:

In order...

~It varies really. Probably three times a week?
    ~I don't get DRUNK drunk too often....but I usually get tipsy. Once I have one drink I always want more. Would easily drink a whole bottle of wine.
    ~I don't like drinking soft drinks in a pub...if I'm out in town then I want to drink alcohol.
    ~Recently I have noticed that alcohol has helped me to cope with my grief...it helps me to let out the emotions that I usually feel I have to keep hidden.
    If I am feeling down or triggered or something then I tend to reach for alcohol :blink: :unsure:

6. LetItGo

LetItGo Staff Alumni

ppl play the "alcoholic" card far too much.

When does it become a problem?

When you "need" it to cope, or feel like you do, then u have a problem. 3 times a week is moderate and perfectly fine imo.

7. blackfire

blackfire Well-Known Member

i don't drink everyday but afew times a week. if i don't have any that week i go crazy. i need rum or whiskey to calm me. i need it and i am not sure if i am comnsidered an alcoholic or not.

8. theleastofthese

theleastofthese SF Friend Staff Alumni

I have been told that if you feel it's a problem, then it probably is a problem. If you have no control over when and how much you drink, if your daily routine is changed or interrupted due to drinking, if you lie about your drinking or how much you drink or hide bottles from other members of your family - then it is a problem. I should know - I have all those symptoms and I know that I have a problem. I just don't know if I have the strength to fight it.:sad:

9. RySp123

RySp123 Guest

Drinking is a problem WHEN for a yes or a no, for a good or bad feeling or mood one seeks a drink.

It is not the amount one drinks that makes him an acoolic, or the speed one drinks neither how many times a day or week..... it is the reason one drinks.

granny, Alcoolic Anonymous for 35 years

10. RySp123

RySp123 Guest

also true as post....... alcoolic or alcool being a problem both are dangerous issues.

11. *dilligaf*

*dilligaf* Staff Alumni

Thank you all :hug:

12. mackya99

mackya99 Member

you're an alcoholic when the first thing you do when you wake up is grab a drink and also when you're drinking while you shower. you are not an alcoholic

13. famous.last.words

famous.last.words Forum Buddy

i think what granny said was spot on really, other judgements seem to be lacking in 'why', and excessivly focus on 'how much'.

i think drink is helping me cope, and when im down its what i go for.
    drunk me kinda reminds me of the old me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.