Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by resistance, Mar 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. resistance

resistance Staff Alumni

Can you drive? If you can't, do you want to?

I'm currently learning to drive. Today, I had my 4th or 5th driving lesson. I thought I was doing ok and driving was a piece of piss until today. Eek!!! My instructor almost crapped his pants when I didn't put my foot down on the clutch and the brake when we were right behind the wheeliebin collectors lorry.

"Put your foot down!! Put your foot down!!!"
    "Where?" :rolleyes:

When I was taking a corner and this idiot landrover parked *right* on the corner I accelerated. oops. I also reved the car A LOT at the traffic lights. Then, we were approaching a part of the road where only one car can go through at a time, the other side had priority and I didn't break in time so he took over the controls and hit down on the brake HARD. Thank goodness his coffee had a lid on it. >_>

Last week I almost lost control when we were driving along a country road and I got distracted by a goat. The drive was also oh-so-smooth until my instructor decided to drink his coffee and then we went over a HUGE pothole. Hehe

Thank goodness I have some more lessons left!

Ah, driving is so funnnn. The world is going to be a MUCH safer place with me on the road. Bwhaha
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2007
  2. Hazel

Hazel SF & Antiquitie's Friend Staff Alumni

Thank you, that really made me laugh. :biggrin:
  3. LifeSucks87

LifeSucks87 Guest

Learning to drive is a process. You'll become a better driver every day. My opinion still is that you learn the most once you have your license and you are on the road on regular basis, without an instructor next to you.
  4. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

I have enough trouble with teen drivers in the US. I think I am glad you are far away Res. LOL. I am sure you will improve as you get more experiences. For now, why don't you let everyone know when your lessons are so they can stay off the streets? :)
  5. kindtosnails

kindtosnails Staff Alumni

Hehe, good one. :biggrin:

I'll be "driving" for the first time this weekend. Wish me, or more importantly the person in the car with me, luck! :eek:hmy: :eek:hmy: :eek:hmy:
  6. resistance

resistance Staff Alumni

Awww, GL, you don't mean that. :wink:

I've been told you tend to drive better and more at ease after the test, but I need to pass it first. Hehe :faint:
  7. Smythe

Smythe Well-Known Member

I still don't drive, I'll crash!

congrats on tackling it :smile:
  8. willgethere

willgethere Well-Known Member

I took lessons a long time ago, but the instructor told me not to bother driving or let my nerves calm before trying again, (never tried again) as everytime a car on the opposite side of the came near me then I shut my eyes, even tho I was sat driving at the time, eeeek, I think I am too nervous to drive lol
  9. bunny

bunny Staff Alumni

i went up to the moors soon after i passed with a friend, the moors here are basicly open farm land filled with wild horses, sheep and the occasional cow

i was driving along carefully, doing well, my friend was nervous anyway and had the passenger side sun visor down so she could watch behind with the mirror, then all of a sudden, out of no where she yelled:
    i slammed on the break (it was actually a good emergency stop if i say so my self) i looked at the road and there were no sheep there, there were loads at the side of the road, which is what she was pointing out, she nearly gave me a heart attack! thankfully there were no cars behind me :eek:hmy:
  10. Lady E

Lady E Well-Known Member

I drive. I don't like driving cars though. I do enjoy my vespa though <3
  11. theleastofthese

theleastofthese SF Friend Staff Alumni

I've been driving for 39 yrs now. I have a good driving record and consider myself to be a good driver... now. When I was younger I was reckless and stupid and am lucky I never hurt anyone. I don't mind driving tho I don't like it like I used to, especially driving at night since I have bad night vision and cataracts. But, as has been said, you'll get better with experience. Like anything else, after you've done it for a while it just becomes second nature. My only advice: watch out for the other guy cause too many drivers are idiots and not watching what they're doing, so drive defensively.

12. Is This It

Is This It Well-Known Member

I got my licence in january now I'm regularly out racing my mates, doing double the speed limit 120 in a 60 and going round roundabouts the wrong way lol. The road is our playground.
  13. theleastofthese

theleastofthese SF Friend Staff Alumni

I hope your playground doesn't become a graveyard.:sad:
  14. asqy

asqy Well-Known Member

agreeing with least here... that sounds very dangerous. you could kill yourselves or someone else...
  15. resistance

resistance Staff Alumni

Eh.. having fun is great but that sounds plain dangerous. Not only for you & your friends but other motorists and pedestrians. The road shouldn't be a playground.
  16. i'm going for my Ls on thursday. i should've gone for them a couple of years ago but i've been real slack
  17. true as. may be fun at the time till someone ends up in the hospital or worse. me and my friends just lost someone to that very thing, fortunately (i know it sounds bad) he was the only one killed out of the other 8 or so. Be careful out there champ =]
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.