Drowning in debt...just want to end it all

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Sanduvall, Aug 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sanduvall

Sanduvall New Member

I am drowning in debt, to the point where it's all I think about. I have over 100K in student loan debt, and 25K in credit card debt. A lot of the credit card debt was racked up to cover expenses that I couldn't cover after paying my student loans. My job pays about 35K/year. I do not want to be in debt the rest of my life. The rest of my family went through that, and it ruined all of their lives. I would seek bankruptcy protection, but I cannot get out of my student loans, which is the biggest part of my problem. I recently moved back home to save money, but the living situation at my parents house is horrible. She is depressed and psychotic, and it just sucks all the life and happiness out of that home. All she does is bitch about money. I just want it all to end. I will not be in debt for the rest of my life like my mother and father. I would rather die than do that, and it seems like everyday that option seems to be more and more appealing. I wake up in the morning thinking about debt and killing myself. I just don't see a way out.

2. me1

me1 Well-Known Member

So, you're in debt, is it really worth ending your life over? Can't you just accept the fact and try to chip away at it, little by little. There is no quick fix. Killing yourself isn't a fix, believe me. Please talk more.

3. Ignored

Ignored Staff Alumni

I don't know how it works in America but in Britain it's best to let them take you to court because much of that would be written off. Financial institutions have a responsibility not to loan money to people who are not in a position to pay it back. And who in their right mind would lend 100k to a student ffs!!! They deserve to lose their money. Anyway, as I say I'm not sure how it works in the US but it's worth looking in to.

4. kath

kath Well-Known Member

i am in debt too.Admittedly nowhere near as much as you are but i know how much it can play on the mind.If you ever want to talk please feel free to private message me and/or keep letting out your feelings via the forum.Have you ever thought about seeking some form of debt/financial advice about your situation?i dont know where you live nut there should hopefully at least be somewhere you can turn to for advice during this troubled time,someone who is used to dealing with these issues.Also i wonder if you could perhaps confide a bit in any friends or anyone else in your life about how low you feel?Perhaps being able to offload onto someone and share a bit will make things seem a little more manageable and help to lighten the load for you.i know its easy to say but please try not to think of death cos of your debts.It may take time but im sure you can find a way out of this and to a mjch better place than you are now.Good luck.

5. gemusan

gemusan Active Member

I understand what you're going through. I was drowning in debt right out of college as well. What I did was 1) cut back expenses to a bare minimum and 2) find ways to increase income. It took a while to pay back everything but the pressure to increase income has helped me advance in my career quite a bit. View your situation as a challenge and wake up everyday thinking "how do I make more money?".

6. LostMyMind

LostMyMind Well-Known Member

I hate living to make money.. it seems like the only point to my stupid existence. :sad:

7. silent_enigma

silent_enigma Well-Known Member

Ugh. I felt like that a while ago.

Does anyone know what's the worst they can do to you if you don't pay it? I'll see what google can find me, out of curiosity. BRB

8. gemusan

gemusan Active Member

Yea living to make money sucks. But when the debt is getting chipped away, I felt a strong sense of accomplishment. Eventually I found a job that I really loved, so now I work because I love it, not because I have to.

9. Interloper

Interloper New Member

In the United Kingdom, there are many forums acting as support groups to help people get out of debt. Such as www.moneysavingexpert.com (see the Debt Free forums). Are there not similar forums in the United States or wherever the original poster lives? Could anyone over there advise?

10. Mike Meyers

Mike Meyers Member

Can you get a new payment plan on the student loans? Some payment plans are like mortgages and run for 30-40 years. If you put an extra $50-100/month into your payments perhaps you can cut 10 years off your payment.

It doesn't have to be the end. I know money worries suck, but maybe there are options you haven't explored yet. PErhaps refinancing, or credit counseling or something like that.

11. green

green New Member

the worse thing is bankrupcy but hey that only last a maximuim of 7 yrs (and thats rare to last that long ) if yu are able to earn 35k a year then really think u can get out of dept rather quickly with a good financial lawyer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.