Drugs and alcohol to numb pain?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by obsessed78, May 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. obsessed78

obsessed78 Member

I have been drinking more heavily and started taking coke to deal with every day life. The coke is hard to get so cant rely on it and i take sleeping pills every now and again to help me sleep as most nights i dont due to anxiety.
    I would rather self medicate than take perscription pills for anxiety.
    What are your thoughts and experiences?
    I also dont bother with therapists. Too time consuming, expensie and hard work. I cant tell friends and family how bad i am. Hence why im here.
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

You are worth the time the effort the expense and the hard work hun please reach out and get professional help
  3. MrsStavrogin

MrsStavrogin Active Member

Well, the coke and booze certainly won't help you.
    I've been clean for a couple of months from all that crap, but I still sometimes self-medicate with booze, but even that doesn't seem to do the trick anymore, since I have to be careful not to drink too much, because people check-up on me.
    I've been going to a therapist and I'm on medication. I wouldn't say that there's been much improvement, although I don't obsessively think about suicide like before. My therapist says that she sees great improvement, but I just don't.
    Anyway, drugs almost ruined my life completely. But I get what you're saying... the only time when I felt at ease with myself was when I was on something (H was my Holy grail). But it only adds to your problems.
    If I had gotten help before dabbling with all that stuff, my life might have been much easier to fix.
    My sincere advice: Stop, before you can no longer stop. Seek professional help. Instead of paying for drugs, pay for a therapist. At least give it a try. Give yourself the option, instead of going through the same scenario all the time. Try out the alternative.
    I wish you all the best.
  4. obsessed78

obsessed78 Member

Is pescription drugs that you are forced to take every day for them to work, worse that recreational drug use? At the moment that is what it is for me , mostly but i do use it to get me out of th house when Im depressed....Prescription drugs scare me more because they permanently change you.
  5. ExtraSoap

ExtraSoap Well-Known Member

I take prescription antidepressants and I haven't been permanently changed, and I've been taking them for two and a half years. I think that it's better than slowly killing yourself with coke and booze, i learned that the hard way with dope.
  6. AsphyxiateOnMisery

AsphyxiateOnMisery Well-Known Member

Drugs are a temporary fix... But even the temporary fix you get comes with more consequences than its worth. Active addicts all end up in one of three ways/places...rehab, jail, or dead. Unless you get treatment. I've done crack-cocaine before and I really hate the withdrawal you get from it. Not as intense as opiates from my experience, but still, the restlessness and the "damn it's gone, I want more" feelings really sucked. I would do a bag of H right when the high left me because I couldn't stand feeling so restless and non-content and needed something to bring me back down. So I covered up crack withdrawal with heroin, and heroin withdrawal with suboxone. All for a 5 minute high from crack??? I realized how truly ridiculous that was and stopped on my own. My fiancé is ruining his life with heroin, I don't want to ruin mine.
  7. MrsStavrogin

MrsStavrogin Active Member

I'm on prescription antidepressants and sleep medication. I try to skip the sleep meds if I can, because I don't want to get hooked on something again.

I still get cravings for drugs. Not as often as I used to, but I miss the snort-problem fixed feeling. But it's the most destructive illusion in the world...

I don't know what else I can say to make you rethink your direction. It's sad that too often nobody gets a say in these situations. Only the user. All I can say is that I hope you never have to go what many of us have obviously been through. I'm not religious, but in similar cases, I do feel like I have to pray. Take it slow, and don't add to your problems, please.

I really wish you all the best, and hope you could have a glimpse into my experiences. I guarantee that you wouldn't want to live even for a second in that kind of life. It's not even life. It's misery. And life can be good, if you don't work against it. And the biggest problem is that once upon a time each and every one of us has said to themselves: It will not happen to me. People told me, and I didn't listen. I wanted it all. I had to try it all. I had to escape. The only, and biggest regret in my life.

Going to therapy wasn't easy for me. It isn't easy for anyone. But now I like going to my sessions, and don't have the overwhelming urge to hurt/kill/destroy myself. I never thought it could be possible, after all the crap through all the years.

Yet again, I'm sincerely advising you to give it a try, and spend your money on that for a change. I know that's not what your current self wants, but why not explore the other sides of you? It's kind of boring doing the same thing over and over again...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.