Drugs, God, and death

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, lets discuss the spirituality about recreational drugs. What are the connections with out of body experiences, God, etc. Discuss here, thank you.

M

MrDepressed

As an atheist I do not truelly believen a spiritual experience as it is commonly thought of.. I figure that this 'spiritual' type of experience is an affect from changing the bodies chemistry, giving the person a feeling of euphoria, a dream like state where the brain is able to convince the person that something is real when it is not, or that something that is read is something other than what it really is.. I think that alot of 'spiritaul' people try to take any event that happens or will happen to them or around them as something from 'God' 'spirits' 'the devil' etc, it just makes sense that they will filter their or others experiences through there own presuppositions.

L

lostcat95

God came to me but I wasn't on any drug. I know people who have seen the devil too and they weren't on any drugs. I think it is all how you are living your life. I do believe drugs can allow you to see spirits and such that you wouldn't normally notice among us.

worlds edge

Hello, lets discuss the spirituality about recreational drugs.
What do you mean by "recreational" drugs? Heck, what do you mean by "spirituality?" Drugs like LSD, mescaline, heroin, or methaphetamine? Spirituality as in the twaddle pushed by that fraud Carlos Castaneda? Huxley's Doors of Perception, which were more like a controlled experiment than anything else?

Personally, I think heroin and crystal meth are nasty, nasty stuff. By and large they destroy you, your capacity to reason and do nothing but hurt everyone around you. I admit that there are some weird exceptions, especially w/heroin, people who can shoot up in the morning and then go on and function all day. But most people could not do this. By and large I think they're nothing but a painful and humiliating way to commit suicide, one that also degrades your capacity to reason as you're killing yourself.

LSD and mescaline might be okay if used very rarely. I don't know enough about them or enough people who've used them to comment. The one time I did LSD was more amusing than anything else. I certainly didn't achieve any kind of chemical satori. I spent the entire "trip" staring at a TV set convinced Dionne Warwick of the psychic friends network was trying to contact me via an informercial. :blink:

What are the connections with out of body experiences, God, etc. Discuss here, thank you.
I don't think "out of body" experiences are possible, and though I'm on the fence about the existence of some kind of deity, I doubt there is any aspect of human existence beyond the material. In other words, our brains are all we've got and I fail to see how induced hallucinations can bring on any kind of enlightenment, contact with God or anything of that sort. It might be entertaining for some to take a "Soma Holiday," but I think that's about all that you're going to get from it.

TG123

Hello, lets discuss the spirituality about recreational drugs. What are the connections with out of body experiences, God, etc. Discuss here, thank you.
Cool topic. I've personally never used drugs, but from what I have heard they do a lot of damage to people's physical and psychological health. They destroy many people. I've worked with kids as a student teacher and para, I have seen the effects that drugs and alcohol have on families. Like when a 7 year old kid comes to school hungry b/c the money at home goes to buy beer or marijuana.

I don't believe that God wants us to do drugs, because we harm ourselves and others around us when we do. I believe it is a sin because when we damage our bodies we are abusing His temples.

I think He can come to us when we pray to Him, when we put our faith in Him. I know people who have had visions of Christ in their dreams. I have never had that, but I know He is there by me. I think that God chooses to allow some people to have a vision of Him, others of us never get to see Him in this life.

Jesus loves all of us so much that He died for us. If we choose to put our faith in Him and follow Him, one day we will see Him in Heaven.

Cristo Vive!
- Tomasz

worlds edge

Cool topic. I've personally never used drugs, but from what I have heard they do a lot of damage to people's physical and psychological health. They destroy many people. I've worked with kids as a student teacher and para, I have seen the effects that drugs and alcohol have on families. Like when a 7 year old kid comes to school hungry b/c the money at home goes to buy beer or marijuana.
I don't think all use automatically becomes abuse, when the discussion is kept to alcohol or marijuana. Though I agree it certainly can become that. Some stuff just seems so horribly addictive (crack cocaine, crystal methamphetamine, PCP, heroin for most) that I'd agree beyond that.

I personally don't smoke pot, for much the same reason I don't use tobacco. Tried both and never liked it. But I do like the occasional beer.

But I think the author of the OP was most interested in hallucinogens, which are in a different category of their own. I've never heard of anyone becoming addicted to them, though I've also heard they can scramble your brain if done long-term.

I don't believe that God wants us to do drugs, because we harm ourselves and others around us when we do. I believe it is a sin because when we damage our bodies we are abusing His temples.
Jesus' first miracle wasn't making grape juice, you know. :smile:

TG123

I don't think all use automatically becomes abuse, when the discussion is kept to alcohol or marijuana. Though I agree it certainly can become that. Some stuff just seems so horribly addictive (crack cocaine, crystal methamphetamine, PCP, heroin for most) that I'd agree beyond that.

I personally don't smoke pot, for much the same reason I don't use tobacco. Tried both and never liked it. But I do like the occasional beer.

But I think the author of the OP was most interested in hallucinogens, which are in a different category of their own. I've never heard of anyone becoming addicted to them, though I've also heard they can scramble your brain if done long-term.
I know that alcohol can quickly become very addictive, although in small amounts it has been shown to be healthy. I have an occasional beer as well. I don't know enough about marijuana or other drugs to comment.

Jesus' first miracle wasn't making grape juice, you know. :smile:
No, but He didn't exactly get drunk and call for a Designated Donkey Driver either. :smile: And He didn't get anyone else drunk or stoned.

Cristo Vive!
- Tomasz

worlds edge

No, but He didn't exactly get drunk and call for a Designated Donkey Driver either. :smile: And He didn't get anyone else drunk or stoned.
Well, but they must have been putting away the vino in pretty heavy quantities to need Jesus to make some, I'd think. To say nothing of the fact that the guests criticized the host for holding the best to last, the custom being to bring out the best first and to save the inferior for later (Jn 2:10)when people might not be so, errrm, discerning. :wink:

P

ProzacDeathWish

As a person who has a past as a dedicated Christian, and also as a person who smoked marijuana, I can truthfully say that I benefited more from smoking marijuana.

I mean no offense to the faithful followers by comparing their God to something as common and ordinary as marijuana. I speak only from my personal experiences and have no desire to condemn someone's religion much less promote drug use.

If given the choice and in the face of emotional turmoil, I would reach for my little stash box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00