Due to recent events....

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by ZombiePringle, Oct 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZombiePringle

ZombiePringle Forum Buddy and Antiquities Friend

I need to quit smoking. I am being released today from the hospital after severe asthma problems. Was here for 5 days. I will be on home oxygen for a while. So that is that I need to be done with smoking. Just need to find alternative methods to deal with my anxiety when my meds don't work. I do have a few packs left which I will smoke one and give the rest away. Then I will hopefully be done with smoking.

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

try not smoking the one it will only upset your asthma again. I hope you are on the patch now so you don't get nic withdrawals. Hope your asthma clears up and you can breath easier.

3. Scully

Scully Well-Known Member

Sorry you're sad :hug:

But I can only encourage you to quit.

When I'm stressed, I touch, let roll asilk scarf between my fingers. You could try balls against stress. Music is good too. Writing does good too. A diary can help pass the critical moments.

4. ZombiePringle

I am doing good so far. have only had 1 cigarette since yesterday as opposed to a half pack to a full pack a day.

5. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

Good job! I'm now 9 days without cigarettes. I've been knitting a lot and I'm chewing nicotine gum, the 4mg strength. You may want to log onto http://www.quitnet.com It is a website for people quitting smoking. I'm on that site and you guessed it, my handle there is chargette.

:hug:

6. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

That's def a good site to visit Josh and well done for cutting down!!!

Don't forget to stock up on patches and gum. Do whatever you need to do hun.

7. sudut

sudut Well-Known Member

Kankuro,
    i tried nicotine gums, they didn't work. what worked for me was 21mg patch.

8. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

I think it's best to try everything. A friend of mine swore the inhalators worked a treat, mainly because he was missing the hand-to-mouth action you get when smoking an actual cigarette. Whereas another friend used the nasal spray and said the hit of nicotine was just enough to keep her going. So it's all about what works best for you! :)

9. ZombiePringle

I'm going completely cold turkey and its working out for me. if I feel I need to get the gum or anything I will :)

10. ZombiePringle

I haven't been doing so good on the quitting smoking thing but I'm getting back to it now..... I have found that lollipops and gum (the non nicotine kind) are helping me to not smoke so i'm thinking on my next pay day I'm going to buy a huge bag of lollipops and a few packs of gum.

11. NoGood

NoGood Well-Known Member

ohh yay!!! Well done Josh. If you ever wanna let loose just message me. Im off the smokes for about 3 yrs now, i was smoking for about 5yrs. Myself and my boyfriend went cold turkey and we both made it :) It will get easier with time. A few months into it, we actually started feeling sick if someone offered us a smoke, and had to cross the street if someone in front of me were smoking so fingers crossed for you. Smoking repluses us now and im so happy it does :)

12. ZombiePringle

Yeah. I obviously haven't quit completely yet but I'm basically forcing myself to go to certain times before I smoke. Like right now I'm forcing myself to wait another 20 minutes which will mean it will have been about 4 hours since my last cigarette which is a huge thing for me especially since when I'm at work I usually have one every 1-2 hours.

13. *sparkle*

*sparkle* Staff Alumni

sorry to hear that you have been so unwell :hug:

your absolutely right in the circumstances to quite smoking. you sound like you are doing really well :) are you getting support from your doctors on this? sometimes the nicotine replacement products need to be fiddled with dose-wise or product-wise. also the support of a nurse or doctor is supposed to help a lot :hug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.