dying and telling therapist

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Oceans, Nov 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oceans

Oceans Well-Known Member

has anyone ever been asked relay what they say more directly? for example, beating around the bush that you feel like dying but the therapist doesn't accept the way you say it and directs you to say it blatantly outloud. does anyone know why she might of place such importance on this?

2. requiem46

requiem46 Active Member

Some people have the theory that unless you say something out loud exactly as you want to say it, you are not admitting it to yourself.

I'm not really sure if this is true or not for this particular topic, but from my experience with people about other things, when they don't say the thing directly, they are just avoiding direct confrontation of the problem they may have, pretending it doesn't exist, or hiding its existence (as obvious as it may or may not be)

I guess that is the reason why someone would want you to say it openly :rolleyes:

3. Oak

Oak Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

the best in therapy wether its wish a therapist-councellor or psichiatrist is to be truthful and say out loud what is going on. This can bring to confrontation but also help them define the depth of the problem(s) and are more capable in helping you having the more imput from you. Open up and dont worry about what they might say orthink or how they will react. Its the only way to get good positive help.

wishing you all the best
    granny x

4. Jooper62

Jooper62 Well-Known Member

I see a councelor and I am honest as I can be because if i don't she won't be able to help me...sessions I tell her i don't want to live.. one day she asked me if i had pills in my house to hurt myself and I straight out told her yes and she had me admitted to the hospital. If I had said no i wouldn't be here today...Just be honest and honest to her thats what she/he is there for. good luck..

5. simon

simon Antiquitie's Friend

i found it hard to be honest with my counsellor so i started writing stuff down, then when you go in just hive her the paper.
    it gets things out in the open without having to try to say them

6. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Oh jeeze, one psychiatrist I saw, after I told him I was having suicidal thoughts, he asked for details. He wanted specifics of what I was going to do. I told him. He wanted more details... I try not to go into too many details because everyone freaks out when I do!

7. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

My therapist doesn't want to talk about it. She pretty much knows already that I am suicidal because of the other stuff we talk about. I think she won't talk about it because if I come right out and say I'm going to commit suicide then she is obligated by law to turn me in and have me admitted to the hospital. She is trying to avoid that because of the progress we have made over the last three years.

8. Bob26003

Bob26003 Well-Known Member

So she or he can have you committed.

9. music_junkie

music_junkie Well-Known Member

Therapists, at least in the states, are obligated by law to protect their clients. (Duty to protect)

Suicide 'risk' is thought of to remain on a continuum, with fleeting suicidal ideation on the low end and active, imminent danger on the high end. If a suicide attempt is seen to be inevitable, a therapist must take action to protect their clients, which often means sending them to the hospital.

The factors involved in suicide risk are varied, but the main ones are as follows...

1) Past suicide attempts: Has there been any past attempts? What kind of attempts were they? How lethal was the method of choice? How likely were you to be "rescued?" Why didn't it work?

2) How often do you have thoughts about suicide?

3) Gender, age, and race all have key connotations.

4) Is there a family history of suicide? (genetics AND developmental issues)

5) Do you have a plan? A date? A time?

6) How lethal is your method of choice

7) Do you have, in your possession, the tools to carry a suicide out?

8) Is there a history of chronic mental illness? (depression and anxiety are closely correlated/linked with suicide.) Parasuicidal behavior/gestures (eg self-injury type behavior)

The answers to these questions will help a clinician assess suicide risk. If you are seeing a counselor, they cannot and usually will not force you into a hospital with simply fleeting suicidal ideation. They cannot commit you unless you are in IMMINENT danger... Most therapists are actually hesitant to commit clients, as it destroys trust, and the therepeutic relationship. Therapists, usually, are YOUR advocates... They DONT want to commit you. They recognize how restrictive a locked psych ward is, and again, most therapists will do everything in their power to continue treating their clients as outpatients.

Risk rises when a plan is in place and when people have begun collecting their "suicide tools." When suicide is seeing as a probable, inevitable act, therapists MUST keep their clients safe. It would be professionally irresponsible if they turned a blind eye. Similarly, if you express suicidal ideation, it's up to them to monitor how those thoughts are "progressing." This is why your therapist is likely to ask you the same questsions week in and week out, to SEE if you've gone from simply having suicidal thoughts to, for example, collecting the necessary equipment to carry out your plan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assessment_of_suicide_risk
    http://kspope.com/suicide/index.php

Hope that helps!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.