Dysthymia

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Clockwork Reality, Jul 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clockwork Reality

Clockwork Reality Well-Known Member

I'm not in crisis, so don't feel you need to respond to this thread first.

Bottom line is this: I was diagnosed with dysthymia several years ago. It was a prognosis that I originally fought with the doctor about. I'm not quite sure why . . . I was feeling so awful at the time that being diagnosed with "persistent and chronic, but less severe depression" seemed to be an incredible understatement. I'm doing a lot better now, and I can now see that the doctor wasn't entirely pulling things out of his ass, either. I'm pretty down no matter what happens.

Here's the thing: I was doing some research about this the other day, and I came across a forum for spouses of dysthemic individuals. By and large, they were women complaining of loveless marriages and emotional distance.

I want to get married. I want to have a family. But I can see these same traits in myself, and I need to address them if I want to have the same successful relationships that many other men enjoy.

Problem is: I don't know where to start. Personalities are not like light switches; I can't simply "stop being pessimistic." As I'm not willing to enter therapy or any medicinal programs, I'm interested in herbal remedies and mind techniques to challenge my thinking.

Does anybody know of resources or links to different techniques that I can read up on?

Here is a link to dystymia if anybody is interested: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dysthymia

Any help is greatly appreciated! :biggrin:

2. Earn

Earn Well-Known Member

Here is a link to a site that has helped me a pretty good amount in changing the way i treat myself.It has some pretty good techniques which have helped.Its worth a try.

http://moodgym.anu.edu.au/welcome

3. Clockwork Reality

Clockwork Reality Well-Known Member

Great! I'll have to give that a try. Thanks for answering!

4. Earn

Earn Well-Known Member

No problem.I hope it helps somewhat.Its helped me.it at least gave me an outside view of myself and why for the most part i feel the way i do.Well best of luck with it.Take care

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.