"Earth Hour" - what do you think?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by FoundAndLost1, Mar 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Have you heard of it? Do you think it will raise awareness (and a continuing one) about the plight of global weather pattern changes (commonly called "Global Warming" - a misnomer as it does not include all the implications and repercussions) due to CO2 emmisions?

(may have to search for global/regional participants)

Many places around the world will turn off their lights for 1 hour this coming Saturday night...
    Yet, actually, Global Weather Changes are not caused by use of electricity (except for that produced through burning fossil fuels such as coal - which most places have stopped, yet China, for instance, is now placing a newly revived greater demand on for its supply, because of the huge & ever-expanding population).

Personally, I sadly think that people will gleefully do so - for one hour (actually the earthhour website crashed the other night because of the over-burdened responses and folks wanting to sign up). They will blithely suppose they've done "their good deed", feel very proud of themselves, pat themselves on the back and think themselves good global citizens...
    And then will go on their merry way and utterly forget about all the other factors that contribute to the problem, minute by minute, hour by hour, and day by day - by most each and every one of us (except for the as-yet underdeveloped countries - who are eventually bound to follow in "our" footsteps).

So, do you feel as "jaded" as I do?
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2008
  2. Patch

Patch Well-Known Member

whoooa, you're kind of a bummer, eh?

I highly doubt at some point in time everyone on the planet is going to be like, "oh my god, we're killing the Earth!" I think that the only way we can raise awareness is by small steps on specific topics (ie. Earth Hour)...people will feel good about turning off their lights, and then some may start turning out a light when they leave a rm, turn off the radio if they aren't using it, make sure not to leave their computer on all night, etc.

on another note, I hope you don't feel that their is anything wrong with people feeling good about themselvs for doing something good?
  3. As I said, diminishing our use of electricity will not stop or prevent what is already happening - it's not a major contributor (except for the burning of coal to produce it - see above). It's all our other world-wide (as individuals - as well as industry) habits that will keep the ball rolling. And none of the countries who even try to make "small" changes can agree on what exactly should be done - lest it wreak havoc on the economy. (and I won't even address how the U.S. sees their role in it - or rather lack thereof)

And many here may not have been around in the early 70's but that was when the first oil shortage was 'proclaimed'. Since then - 35 years later(!) - we have still not weaned ourselves off of our addiction to it (various reasons - won't digress). And that IS a major contributor.

And... I don't think it's bad when people "feel good", but rather that it's more of a Placebo. I believe we've waited far too long already by saying "changes don't/can't happen overnight".

It brings to mind that story of the frog put in a pot of water - room temperature. If he'd been put in a pot of HOT water, he would of course have immediately jumped out and saved himself - sensing great danger. But the frog in the first pot, is placid and oblivious - complacent - even as the water is slowly heated by degrees. He becomes acclimatized and doesn't realize that he is in potential & then imminent danger. And...he will in fact stay there... and boil to death.

That's how I see our predicament...
  4. pit

pit Well-Known Member

The only way the Earth will get better is if a plague wipes out mankind. We are a pox upon the land.
  5. Sadly, we are. For all our wonders and remarkable achievements, the way we behave and treat this place is little better than the innate behavior of any garden variety parasite devouring its host. And the parasite does not 'visualize', has no awareness and no consideration for the long-term future and its existence, nor for that of future parasites (other than reproducing) - nor for its host. It simply feeds.... never realizing that the host could well do without IT, but IT cannot do without the host.
  6. lifeisashedog

lifeisashedog Well-Known Member

I heard that if a lot of people turn off the lights at the same time they can cause a chaos in electricity cable system if the engineers are not prepared for it and it would take more than one hour to fix that.
  7. That would be kind of ironic and funny, wouldn't it...
    Actually, the first was held last year at this time in Sydney, Australia - this year it's more a global effort. Sydney reported no problems (said the consumption dropped from between 2% - 10% - Kinda strange they couldn't pin that number down, wot?)
  8. Patch

Patch Well-Known Member

if it makes anyone feel better, all the human race can do is wipe itself out.
  9. Well, unfortunately for us, that's precisely what we're doing (and will likely keep on doing - even if we do manage to change in very small increments) - and we continue to call it "Progress" & are ever-so-proud of it...

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man"
    - George Bernard Shaw

...Ironic that those before us, who were quite able to live in harmony with their environment - and thought of things in terms of "The Seventh Generation" (such as the Indigenous Peoples/First Nations of North America) were called savage and primitive, and were all but wiped out (of course, not exclusive to North America)...
  10. Hae-Gi

Hae-Gi Banned Member

The problematic increase in global warming is not caused by greenhouse gas emissions; it is caused by a change in the activity of the sun. All these claims that too high emissions of greenhouse gases are caused, only are present because of ignorance or a need for therapy. The truth is that there is nothing we can do about what is happening; the ice caps and mountain tops will keep melting, faster and faster, due to the additional increase in global warming when the ice caps keep getting less able to reflect back some of the sun's rays, causing the oceans to increase in temperature, which causes the caps to melt even faster. This will, with time, lead to that a critical amount of fresh water will collect on the surface of the oceans, due to the lighter weight of fresh water, compared to salt water, which, sooner or later, will cause the great ocean conveyor to come to a halt. When the critical point is reached, a new ice age can face Earth in as little as ten years. This is what the future has in stock; it's happened countless times before, in Earth's history, and it is about to happen again, and there's nothing anyone can do about it.

A lot of sources would be needed to back this up, for disbelievers, but you don't have to believe me... if you are interested, however, at least one report on this was written by Danish scientists, around the end of 2006, it must have been. I don't have the energy or interest to back up my claims, but feel free to research the matter, yourself.

As for saving energy for other reasons, such as decreasing pollution, etc... I think this is just a stupid spectacle that even could lead to serious voltage problems for the electricity companies, which in turn could go so far as to destroy electric devices that are connected to the electric outlets in people's homes. If half a town suddenly stops using electricity, the other half will have to take double the voltage, instead. Electric companies have no chance to readjust the voltage in time, so in such a scenario, loads of electric equipment will be destroyed. Great idea, this Earth hour thing. -_-;
  11. Ire

Ire Guest

12. Entoloma43

Entoloma43 Well-Known Member

I think "earth hour" is meant to serve more as a symbolic purpose rather than actually helping the environment. I could be wrong..

As a side note, I laughed at google's "support" of earth hour. By making the home page have a black background, they considered that helping and were "turning the lights off".
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2008
  13. Well, way to make such a sweeping statement (that has yet to be substantiated, unlike the studies about co2 emissions - that only INDUSTRY and ECOMOMISTS ignore) and then waltz off your podium with a shrug...

"Because the brightness of the Sun varies slightly with solar activity, the new reconstruction indicates also that the Sun shines somewhat brighter today than in the 8,000 years before. Whether this effect could have provided a significant contribution to the global warming of the Earth during the last century is an open question. The researchers around Sami K. Solanki stress the fact that solar activity has remained on a roughly constant (high) level since about 1980 - apart from the variations due to the 11-year cycle - while the global temperature has experienced a strong further increase during that time. On the other hand, the rather similar trends of solar activity and terrestrial temperature during the last centuries (with the notable exception of the last 20 years) indicates that the relation between the Sun and climate remains a challenge for further research."
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2008
  14. Raven

Raven Guest

Their not really trying to change anything, this is all about people feeling good about themselves, instead of doing this for an hour they whould change their lives to make a bigger impact. Its like pissing in the wind your not doing anything but getting yourself wet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.