Easier to talk to other shy people?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Maylin, May 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maylin

Maylin Well-Known Member

Anyone else noticed that it is a lot easier to talk to other shy/depressed people?

When I started my first year at the university I could usually identify shy people within seconds, mostly because I see when people behave just like me. Even just a glance at how people sit in a classroom will tell a lot about them. I would approach a person and try to behave as I would like a person to behave if someone suddently wanted to try to be friends with me.

It worked really good, I was wondering if other have similar experiences.
  2. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

I don't know about shy people, because they tend to withdraw. But it's definitely easier to talk to other depressed people. It's because they understand and even if you don't talk about depression itself, it's just easier.
  3. The_8th_Wonder

The_8th_Wonder senior Member

Well my experiences are that two shy people never end up talking because they are both too shy to talk to one another.
  4. shades

shades Staff Alumni

I was too shy to even approach anyone that I thought was just as shy if not more so. In my case, shy equaled low self-esteem. Maybe that's what shyness is, I'm not really sure.
  5. plates

plates Well-Known Member

i used to, in the past...when i was in a group. i don't know, i used to get on with everyone at a distance and float around, and stick up for this one shy girl when people used to pick on her. but i quickly realised 'shy' people can be nasty people inside, and she was one of them.
  6. Maylin

Maylin Well-Known Member

Yeah one side has to take initiative :mortdesinos:, but most shy people loosen up when they find someone that they can become comfortable with.
  7. Little_me

Little_me Well-Known Member

Yes I find it easier to talk to other shy people. Because we have something in common... I don't really know how to behave when I'm around "socializers", what others expect from me. I find "real" social life quite scary...
  8. Neverhappyalwayssad

Neverhappyalwayssad Well-Known Member

Wish I could find another shy/depressed person. Everyone I know can walk into a building and suddenly have things to talk to people about. When I'm around them, I usually just sit quiet and drink and say maybe one funny thing every hour. I never acutally thought about being the one to take the initiative to talk, but usually when I go to school(when I was going to school)I just withdraw from people.
  9. hardcore

hardcore Well-Known Member

I search for other people with problems. I go to raves and talk to people. Im fairly outfront with people and for me it is like this forum. I can almost immedietly tell when people are depressed or messed up even though almost everybody is on ecstacy. Most people lie about it if I ask them before I tell them about myself because they are insecure about it. But once I get into how I feel people come out. It feels great to listen to somebody and have them listen to you and see that you understand each other. I also talk to people who arn't depressed and I find that while they don't understand as much most people at raves are extremely supportive. I love going there because there are always people who have gone thru the same things. In regular life though I find it harder because people shell themselves off so much more. I constantly try to balance showing that I am not perfect because I want people to see and trying to keep people from noticing. Sometimes I see people act just the way I would and I think that maybe they are feeling what I have felt but then there are the few times when I have guessed wrong. And then I feel like the biggest loser ever. At a rave though everyone is open and even if they think you are a loser they will accept you because at a rave everyone is in a oddly peacefull place even if they are sober. Please do not take this as a recommendation to do drugs because it is not. It is just my personal experience with talking with people.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.