Easing troubled sleepers

Discussion in 'Midnight Owl' started by perfect-flaw, Dec 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. perfect-flaw

perfect-flaw Active Member

It's three thirty in the morning and I can't sleep... I haven't been able to sleep for about a week now, really... My body sayd I'm exhausted, but I'm so alert, almost like I'm paranoid.

The only way I can ever seem to sleep is if I masturbate, but it's so embarassing and inconvenient, and weird. I guess it's because it relieves stress, but I don't know...

Any other ideas on how to ease the restless to sleep?

2. WhyMeWhy

WhyMeWhy Well-Known Member

Work out untill you pass out? Drinking lots of milk is supposed to help.

3. theleastofthese

theleastofthese SF Friend Staff Alumni

I wake often during the nite, the only way to get back to sleep is to put on (again) my Star Trek tape(s), which are like a sleeping pill to knock me out. I wake up to find the tape is rewound and turned off. So I turn it on again and do the same thing... I hope these video tapes last a long time...

4. kath

kath Well-Known Member

Hey i sympathise with you.i know a lot of people can struggle with sleep and i have very often been one of them unfortnately.i dont know how many things youve tried to see if they work with getting you to dleep but there are a number of things you could try.Some could be things such as drinking a hot milky drink before bed eg hot milk,playing relaxing music,having a bath before bed,going to bed at a similar time each night etc.These are small and simple things.They may not be any use to you but perhaps try some of these first and then if you are really struggling to sleep perhaps you could try your doctor who may have others ideas or suggestions etc to help you.Perhaps you could also google it or find some books on the subject.im sorry im probably not much help.i havent really found solutions to my own sleep problems yet.Good luck though!!Take care.kath

5. justgettinby

justgettinby Well-Known Member

Haha, I thought I was a freak! If I can't sleep, usually I masturbate and that does the trick. Just relaxes me, I guess. Yea! Whatever works!

6. Lead Savior

Lead Savior Well-Known Member

Masturbation does in moments what 30mins-1 hour of exercise does, it is very convenient (because of the way I am set up, I suppose :dry: )

If that is wierd, though, take time out of your day to run, ride a bike, or partake in some other form of long-term cardiovascular type exercise. Or watch some boring stuff like Star Trek!

7. ggg456

ggg456 Guest

..a hot shower usually makes me feel relaxed and wanting to sleep.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2008
  8. Random

Random Well-Known Member

Lots of reading will help too. I find I get really tired when my eyes are strained.

Try this. If you can, move your monitor back just far enough so that if you're sitting as you normally do, you can only just read the text on the screen. This will force you to strain to read it. After a while, you'll find yourself getting tired. I keep my monitor this way full time so I don't spend more time online than I should and it really does help me sleep. If I go to bed with my eyes tired, I usually sleep much more soundly than I otherwise might. Just be careful not to push yourself too much or you can get a headache and that isn't good for sleeping either.

I also don't hesitate to use stuff like Tylenol PM if I feel like I need a little something extra. It puts me in a relaxed state where I can fall asleep quite easily. If you don't want the acetaminophen (You probably really shouldn't take it if you don't need it), there are OTC sleeping pills with the same active ingredient but without the Tylenol.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2008
  9. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

well its 6.30 and I have to be up in a couple of hours..hardly seems worth the bother of going to sleep. Have actually been asleep for about an hour out of 4..I dose awake..dose awake.
    TBH its driving me apeshit!!!
    I've tried everything milk, benadryl, half a ton of booze..you name it I tried it :insomnia:

10. (admittedly, I've become something a 'ham' recently :dry:).

'Suggested in another related thread to go read the 'funnies' in the Positive Feelings and Motivational Messages section. Maybe not as 'instant' as masturbation, but could also leave you with a smile (and maybe sleep...?)...

11. Random

Random Well-Known Member

Do you have any idea if there is something on your mind that may not be letting you sleep? Sometimes I can't sleep until I just "let everything go" and say "Oh well. Maybe I'll be able to think better when I'm rested".

Sometimes, when I get tired, my mind just goes in circles. Faster and faster until I'm so confused, I don't even know what I'm thinking about.

12. * niamh *

* niamh * Guest

Has anyone ever been prescribed sleeping pills that just don't work at all? I've been on 2 different types, first lot made my legs and arms feel weird, went back to the docs and he gave me some 'stronger' ones...second lot just don't do anything :blink: I'm not even allowed to take these ones more than 3 times a week, so I was told, as it would probably get addicted to them

anyone else had similar problems?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.