Eating Disorders...

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by herrkatze, Oct 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. herrkatze

herrkatze Member

Can they be considered self-harm? I've dealt with this for the past eight years. After suffering through secondary education while being fat I resolved to lose the weight and keep it off. After healthily losing 80 pounds in September 2009, I started using dieters tea to keep the weight off. This wasn't enough so I eventually started throwing up until I was discovered by my mother and friends so I read about chewing and spitting which is what I struggle with now. It has reached a point where I have spent thousands of dollars of food to simply dispose of. This has made it worse because I simply put it in the trrash, the garage, and my neighbour's trash can which has resulted in a putrid smell. I really want to stop but I have no idea how.
    I believe that an eating disorder is merely a symptom of the depression that I have suffered from for the majority of my life. I have caused my mother and my friends (who know about my problem) untold grief and I am sick of hurting them. I really do not care about getting better for me but for my mother (my only close family member) and for my close friends to whom I have caused gross emotional pain. I want to get better to stop hurting them. I just want to stop but I do not know how...
  2. lostyorkie

lostyorkie Member

Yes, eating disorders are a type of self harm. You are hurting yourself by depriving yourself of the food you need and also causing yourself to throw up is harmful. It is a symptom of depression but also a very serious disease in itself which you need and deserve to get help with. I had an eating disorder from when I was 15 till I was 27. I do better but still have issues with it. You can get help and some people recover, and I think no longer think about it so much. If you're able to eat meals throughout the day with your mom or friends, perhaps that could be a start. Maybe seeing a therapist about your depression and mentioning your eating disorder. Different things work for different people. You deserve to recover from your an eating disorder and your depression.
  3. SillyOldBear

SillyOldBear Teddy Bear Fanatic Staff Member Safety & Support

Eating has destroyed my life. Am 63 and always eaten poorly. Am fat, digestive system shot to hell, and I hate myself for it. Even now, when eating too much or the wrong things brings physical pain, I still do it. It is not, however, considered a formal eating disorder. And I really have no idea if depression brought on the eating, or eating brought on the depression. I, too, buy food, get mad and throw it away. I often wish I was a robot and did not need food to survive.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.