Eating when bored, and never hungry nor full

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Krem, Dec 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Krem

Krem Well-Known Member

I don't eat that much, most of the time. Usually, it's just dinner. However, when there are snacks, I will munch on them until they're gone. I eat when I'm bored, both because it's something to do, and because it's tasty, which makes me enjoy it. I never experience hunger, nor do I experience being full, other than the painfull 'I can't get another bite down' full. I do experience thirst, but only in the form of a dry mouth/throat.

Is this some sort of disorder? If so, what is it called, what further symptoms are there, and any further information is welcome.
  2. sTEPHbUD

sTEPHbUD Member

I don't think it is. Try to find other ways to fill your boredom than eating?
  3. bubblin girl

bubblin girl Well-Known Member

im doing the same when im bored,i dont think it is, thats normal and many people doing it.
  4. AEdle

AEdle Well-Known Member

Your way of meals is disorder but is nothing like an ed.

I do the same... eat because it tastes good not because i am hungy.

A mm a normal day should have 3 meals and 2 snacks. Oh and how much healthy food that can be possible...And something like 30 minutes work out or do something that will make you burn some calories.This is a person who is not having a disorder in his/her meals.

A mmm no isn`t any ED...probably you should try to do the 3 meals principals and 2 snacks....
  5. Rayne

Rayne Well-Known Member

It doesn't sound like a disorder but it is still an issue. It sounds like what's happened is that your body is so used to only having one meal a day that its ignoring the fact that its hungry, almost. Basically you've taught yourself that there is only one meal a day available as an option. So if you're body needs food at say.. 8am, no matter how hungry it tells you it is you won't eat until the evening because there isn't any food to eat, almost.
    Only eating the one meal a day implies that you're not getting all of the nutrients you need, so your body doesn't feel "full" until you physically can't consume any more food because it needs certain foods that its hoping it'll get soon, if that makes sense?

As for snacking due to boredom, this is very normal. I wouldn't worry about that, you really need to address the fact that you only have one meal a day though because its really, really bad for you. Regardless of whether you're hungry or not, you need to start having at least 3 regular meals a day. Even if you only have a very, very small meal for breakfast and lunch then a large meal in the evening, you're getting your body back into good habits. You also need to drink regularly. Eventually, your body will get used to the fact that there is food around you, you're not experiencing a time with limited food supplies and you will start to feel hungry when your body needs food.

I was watching something a while ago.. Paul something, but he was talking about weight loss. Apparently, some people just don't recognise the feeling of being full because they enjoy the food so much that they eat too quickly so the feeling doesn't register. Maybe try eating slowly, chew each mouthful at least 10 times.
  6. addison

addison New Member

Eating to pass the time was one of the biggest mistakes that I did. :anony: I gained a lot of weight because of this. Now, I prefer to keep my hands filled with some or the other work. :tongue: If I don't have anything to do, I just try a playing a couple of games. :pokeball: This has help me to keep myself from munching all the time and help my body some relaxation. :yay:
  7. nos nomed

nos nomed Well-Known Member

Your habits are perfectly normal. The snacking can be unhealthy as it often leads to weight gain which leads to depression which leads to more snacking. You aren't feeling hungry because you aren't allowing your body to burn off the energy provided from your snacking most likely. Stop snacking and start working out and you well start feeling an emptiness in your or a need for food to give energy.

Most people don't understand feeling full and therefore overeat to the point of causing stress on their stomach(the feeling of wanting to vomit or difficulty to move). Full itself is the state at which appetite is satiated or you are no longer hungry, this means when your stomach stops hurting from being hungry you are technically full and not when you feel you can no longer eat anymore.

Scientifically the optimal eating pattern for an active adult is to divide your daily caloric need into 5 equal meals throughout your day. It is however not to say you can't be healthy eating less or more. Many societies don't eat 3 square meals take for instance roman soldiers their diet consisted of one ~3000 calorie meal a day and they were the model for much of the art referenced as perfect human shape.

I don't think you have anything to worry about just teach yourself that you are only eating because you are bored so you can stop. Then just eat enough a day to provide your basic needs for survival. Also your body doesn't tell you to eat till it gets the proper nutrients what it does is if it doesn't get what it needs it will break it down from your body mostly by breaking down muscle tissue and taking calcium from bones. You will notice this when you start feeling fatigued, weaker, get pains in joints, hair loss, receding gums, and at extreme nails and teeth falling out.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.