ECT Experiences

Hello, everyone. I was just wondering if anyone here had tried ECT or knew anyone who had. I'd love to hear what people's experiences have been? They say the rates of success are quite high.

Sleeper71

Hey @drew_18, welcome to the site!

I hope you get some replies because I’m curious about it too. Meds don’t do much for me and at one point in my treatment a doctor said this might be a treatment to look into.

Best wishes.

Davec27

SF Supporter
I had a course of ECT as antidepressants didn't help. I was concerned about memory loss and so self monitored my intelligence and memory - the hospital didn't bother.

Not only did it not help my suicidal ideation, but because it didn't I felt there was one more thing I had failed with and then with the brain function deterioration which I had evidence of; there was a second thing to add to my worries.

Would I recommend it? Only if really desperate and be aware it may make you worse

Sleeper71

I had a course of ECT as antidepressants didn't help. I was concerned about memory loss and so self monitored my intelligence and memory - the hospital didn't bother.

Not only did it not help my suicidal ideation, but because it didn't I felt there was one more thing I had failed with and then with the brain function deterioration which I had evidence of; there was a second thing to add to my worries.

Would I recommend it? Only if really desperate and be aware it may make you worse
Thanks for the reply. The potential memory loss is what’s kept me from pursuing this more.

Leesa

I went to a mini seminar on TMS this week. They talked about ECT and it terrified me. I'm checking more into TMS but don't know enough yet. I do know someone who just finished. She said it's worth it but I don't know remission is possible. To me, the best I think I can expect is momentary relief to get me into a mindset to learn coping skills.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00