ECT - Good/Bad/Ugly?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by galalleni, Feb 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. galalleni

galalleni Well-Known Member

Howdy y'all,

My depression has really taken hold of me the past few years or so - it takes me a lot of effort to do anything - I don't go outside except to see my counselor. My meds are brought to me and administered so that I cannot OD or do anything else - some might say I'm 'lucky' :dry:. Have a lot of trouble sleeping (hate sunlight, so I stay inside most of the time, with the blinds closed). There are a few things I enjoy - but they are far and few between. So enough rambling....

My doc says I should get ECT - I've heard both good and bad things - I have a lot of knowledge and would hate to lose the one scrap of myself that I value - but if it works, who knows...

So any thoughts on ECT?

(experiences, second hand reports, etc.)
  2. wastedmylife

wastedmylife Well-Known Member

ECT is a bunch of crap, as is most drugs, I dont know what to tell you, people need to find some type of peace within

People usually walk away from ECT with some type of brain damage from what I hear, I would stay the hell away from that crap, I think doctors just like to test things out because they are sick sadist fucks themselves, especially psychatric doctors
  3. Obsessive

Obsessive Well-Known Member

I've had ECT. It had no effect on my brain whatsoever, but it did make me worse when they screwed up my anesthesia and I was fully conscious roughly 10 seconds before I went out and was completely paralyzed and terrified, not able to move or breathe.

It feels like all these drugs and "treatments" are little more than one big pyramid scheme to milk money from a growing, desperate populace. Doctors love to trumpet their success rates from the rooftops and severely downplay the failure rates and serious side effects. I was told by my doctor that ECT had roughly a 75% success rate - utter bullshit. From looking up more information on it after the fact I found that ECT is essentially little more than hitting a TV to try to get it to work. Some people have said it helped, plenty others said they just got massive headaches and/or memory loss from the experience.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2009
  4. Spearmint

Spearmint Well-Known Member

My granddad had it done after dealing with depression for a long time. I never got to meet him, but my family says that it helped him a lot and that he felt much better.

That's definitely not helpful at all, but yeah.
  5. Hazel

Hazel SF & Antiquitie's Friend Staff Alumni

I've had ECT, the process itself is very civilised these days, so forget all 'The One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest' images!

As for effect, I had not responded to any medications prior to ECT, I believe that something changed (for the better) as a result of ECT and I have gone from strength to strength since then.

My memory is rubbish since then but I am old, so who knows it may have been anyway. At least one friend/member of Sf believes my poor memory is nothing to do with ECT!

Would I have it again, yes if I was ever in the same suicidal state as I was then.

Hope this is of some help. If you want to talk to me about it, pm me.

6. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

They want to do it to me also. I suffer from bad headaches everyday and migranes1/2 times a week. I'm not about to let them zap me and make them worst. I have read similar posts here on the forum and would say that the replies were basically 50/50. Some for and some for not. Personally I won't have it done. If the meds quit working all together then I can't be held responsible for my actions. ~Joseph~
  7. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

If you're really feeling that low then maybe you should try it. What do you have to lose?
  8. My mom had it done and she's a completely different person and not in a good way either. She still suffers from depression and it seems to have only rotted her brain. Do as much research on it as you can before going through with it if that's what you decide to do.
  9. Mikeintx

Mikeintx Well-Known Member

My nana is schizophrenic and it has helped tremendously when she starts to have bad episodes. She would not be able to function today without it.
  10. plates

plates Well-Known Member

From what I've seen on psychiatric wards , it's a last resort when the person can't deal with being traumatised by CPNs brain dead psychiatrists and so called psychologists working from very tight models. When you've done all that and they've given up hope and drugged ya up and you're still on section 3, then they do the ECT.

It's just like anything, just like medication, it's chance- trial and error- if it helps, then good.

My grandmother had ECT. She had ECT for being beaten up by her husband and trapped in a hospital for having enough of her fucking life and diagnosed as schizophrenic for screaming for help. She was also on a ton of heavy drugs. She was pretty much catatonic as far as I hear, but that was 'part of her schizophrenia' (her withdrawal from the shit that they put her through) so they did it more and more to her. That was many many years ago though. I've heard psychiatric treatment is slightly more humane and beneficial now. :dunno:
  11. Bob26003

Bob26003 Well-Known Member

I would not do it. There is a lady who I have been in the ward with several times. She drools and is just gone if you know what I mean. Some of the clients said she never used to be like that until she got ECT.

What ECT does I believe is trigger small seizures in yer brain.

I would study up on it for sure.
  12. Obsessive

Obsessive Well-Known Member

That's exactly the mindset that led to me trying it. I learned not only that I wasn't anywhere near rockbottom, but that it's still a plenty long spiral downwards.
  13. bloodlily

bloodlily Active Member

I had depression and PTSD before I was sent for ECT. And all ECT did for me, was to turn my depression, PTSD and low self esteem into a chemical nightmare. I aquired schizophrenia because of it.
  14. LastCrusade

LastCrusade Well-Known Member

I've done ECT in the past but it didn't help because the root cause of my problems was real life situations and not as a result of being mentally ill. But I did realize that being overwhelmed at what life has thrown at me has resulted in some chemical imbalance in my brain which resulted in me feeling even much worse. Taking anti-depressions did help a bit but it did not solve any of my problems as it did not offer any solutions. However, it gave me a grace period of temporarily relief, a slightly better focus for me to try to face my problems head on and solve it. ECT will only lift ur mood up a bit but you must get to the root cause of your problem, solve it, or accept it and move on, in order for you to recover from the curse of depression. it offers only temporary relief.
  15. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

I don't know if I would do it. I don't know that I have a problem involving my brain. I have a problem with my environment.

As a hard-nosed science type fellow, I would not listen to the anecdotal evidence I see in this thread and otherwise, but would rather read medical journals reviewing clinical trials... and those indicate that it's a safe treatment that can be effective on some individuals.
  16. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Actually, quite honestly, I think what would make me happiest is to FORGET. I need to forget, at least until I get my emotions unraveled from the whole thing. I don't think any psychiatrist in the world would perform the procedure on me, though, since I clearly respond to other treatments.
  17. plates

plates Well-Known Member

:mellow: Yeah that's what stops me taking medication. I get the same thing on medication I just spiral downwards. I know, if I take medication, I'm gonna be in a much worse of state than when I'm on the stuff.

There was this woman on section 3 who was sitting there saying ' I don't know why i let the past bother me so much (she'd gone through hell, she was telling some of it to the nurse on close observation, completely understandable why she felt the way she did') and this HCA (shouldn't be working there) sitting there saying blanket/unhelpful/invalidating things like, "You have to not let it effect you think about your children" and then she was getting regular ECT treatments on top of antipsychotics to prevent her running out of the ward and throwing herself in front of a train. Those CPNs/HCA on the ward were so fucking clueless, they actually treated her like a counsellor, like they'd unload all their personal problems on to this woman in bed. And her treatment was forced. It was legally OK for psychiatrists to do what they liked to her.

Aoeu- medical journals aren't impartial. They can be sponsored by things like the drug/psychiatric industry/so called academics and the nature of the trial and evaluation can be coercive to get a preferred result. And what you said, is exactly what this 'anecdotal thread' says anyway ????, on some people it will work, on some people it won't. It's trial and error. Pure chance if it helps, and if it doesn't then...who knows what'll happen.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2009
  18. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

It's universally deemed -safe- by any research that has been done.
  19. plates

plates Well-Known Member

than when I'm off the stuff I mean
  20. plates

plates Well-Known Member

I'm sure -safe- is the same -safe- that my Crisis Team concluded me as, when I was severely suicidal in 06. Thanks for acknowledging any personal experiences of suffering here, and citing your universal, hard scientific evidence.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.