ECT: Have you tried it?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by sweetles, Oct 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sweetles

sweetles Well-Known Member

Hello all. i am seeking to hear any personal, firsthand (not what you've heard) experiences of electro-convulsive therapy for the treatment of severe depression. i am someone who has not benefitted from drug or talk therapy, a lifelong major depressive. obviously i have a chemical imbalance, but this has been amplified by childhood sexual abuse, lonliness, and most recently a horrible break-up of the only real relationship I've ever had. two psychologists and a psychiatrist have recommended ECT for my case, but i am afraid of losing my personality, and afraid of memory loss that will effect me keeping a job. however if there is a chance i could get some relief from this depression...just enough to function, not seeking a cure....without horrible side effects, maybe i should just shut up and do it.

but an informed decision is important, so i would very much treasure any personal experiences with this treatment anyone can share.

2. Danialla

Danialla Well-Known Member

I am currently undergoing ECT for treatment resistant depression and while I have not noticed a huge improvement yet, I also have not had any major side effects. I was really worried about memory loss but haven't had any problems. I had my 10th treatment today and am always able to go right back to work the same day with no issues. A month ago I would have said think twice because I had ECT 40 yrs ago when I was 16. Now I would say give it a try it is supposed to be very effective where other treatments haven't been. Good luck.

3. sweetles

sweetles Well-Known Member

Danialla, thank you SO much for sharing your experience. it is especially encouraging to hear that you are able to go to work the same day as treatment, and haven't suffered any memory loss. now you said you have not really noticed an improvement in your mood yet, but did the dr. who administers your treatment give you a timeline as to when you should notice some change?

thanks again!

4. Danialla

Danialla Well-Known Member

Everyone responds differently to ECT per my Dr. The lady next to me was catatonic and had a remarkable response to 8 treatments. My depression is more suicidal ideation and plans then down mood. I still have hope though as the dr has mentioned possible ketamine infusion if the ECT doesn't work. We are going to discuss my future and ECT this friday. I will let you know. Good Luck!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.