ED suicide related

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Remedy, Apr 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Remedy

Remedy Chat & Forum Buddy

Apparently having an ED is a stupid reason to feel low and want to commit suicide. What do you think ? I think the person who said that was an idiot. :dry: Any reassurance I'm not insane or overreacting... ? Preferably from people who know how it feels first hand.

2. Remedy

Guess I'm just an idiot then.

3. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

You're not an idiot. Whoever said that is very ignorant, unfortunately.

I would be inclined to wonder though if its the ED that makes you feel suicidal, or the reasons behind the ED, and you're just struggling in general.

If it is the ED that is making you feel so low then I do think that's understandable because EDs are very wretched conditions to have to live with. Have you sought professional help for what's going on? I can't remember, sorry.

4. Little_me

Little_me Well-Known Member

It might be stupid to some people, but as an post-anorexic myself (I used to be anorexic, I've gained some pounds but that's it. I'm not recovered, I'm worse than ever because of the weight gain) I can tell that it's the hell on earth and it's not a surprise to me that some patients never make it.
    "Stupid"? I would rather say "sad"...

5. Remedy

My ED was a reaction to something that happened ... you can probably guess what. It's nowhere near as bad as it used to be, but it's still a factor in my depression. I'm seeing a therapist about it.

Last year I joined SF because of how bad it made me feel. So them saying that made me really mad. Thank you for your replies. :hug:

6. aki

aki Well-Known Member

I don't even have a fully blown eating disorder, just kind of on the periphery...but it's absolute hell. It's just hell. So whoever said that is ignorant and insensitive and you should ignore what they said.

7. revoltra

revoltra Well-Known Member

I know exactly what you mean there. I have always had a bad body image but my ed started in my later teens. Now i don't really consider myself anorexic anymore because i'm finally at a normal weight, but more depressed then ever. at least with the ed there was some form control that i felt, now i just feel like a failure all the time. they say recovery will make you happy, but i don't see it.

8. Brikka

Brikka Member

i can't believe that someone said that to you...i have read multiple times that suicide rates for people with EDs are pretty high...

personally for me my ED was/is a suicide mission

9. plates

plates Well-Known Member

i'm so scared of getting ill with anorexia i'd rather die. not having an eating disorder like i think i do (i don't anymore) is heaven. it's something i never imagined would ever happen to me. but the feeling of things coming back terrifies me so much that it makes me severely suicidal. the perferable option recently was to kill myself than fall back into anorexia

10. Rosalie

Rosalie Member

we are very similar. so if you're crazy or wrong then so am I. I don't think anything is a bad reason for feeling sad. you feel how you feel regardless of what causes the feelings. make sense?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.