Edit Post in All Forums Request

LonelyHiker

Incidental aka FairWeather™
SF Supporter
Why can I edit my post in some categories but not in others?

Is there a way this function can be "switched on" for the entire forum?

Callousgirl

Semper Occultus
@LonelyHiker

And when you can edit, you only have a 10 minute window to make a edit. Have become a better reader with my postings because I may or may not be able to make a edit. When I use quotes, and use codes, I have used the preview more often before I make a post. Still, I do make errors and they become public were I cannot correct the problem.

LonelyHiker

Incidental aka FairWeather™
SF Supporter
I'm not so much concerned with the time limit, just would like to be able to make edits in ALL forums. I am scratching my head over why this function isn't universal here. It is in every other forum I participate in..

Callousgirl

Semper Occultus
I'm not so much concerned with the time limit, just would like to be able to make edits in ALL forums. I am scratching my head over why this function isn't universal here. It is in every other forum I participate in..
When I was a administrator of a forum during my college years, edit was set at default for everyone. With the amount of coding, I may have been able to withdraw the function of editing with the common members. It was not something, or a idea to set the edit code into that fashion. Having a no edit and a edit with a 10 minute time limit, is a willful design to set it that way.

Walker

Admin
SF Social Media
SF Author
SF Supporter
The design of the forum is set by the program (xenforo) and the edit time is set up by the owner. Each editing window was created by him so feel free to drop him a line at @JmpMster but I'm 99% sure this is at the bottom of his list of life decisions at the moment. He doesn't choose to tinker with any of this these days and the editing remains as is because what is posted is a pain in the ass to edit for ME later. Look at it this way - you write something and the next person replies. You edit that post but now the initial post has been quoted so now you want THAT post edited also because it says what was initially written. Or, you write something and the next people start to reply. You realize what you wrote was shitty / racist / wrong / needy / against the rules / fill in the blank with literally anything here so you edit it. Now all the responses following yours look "off".

I do realize that not having a uniform time of editing is odd. *I* don't even know what the windows of time are. I just make sure what I'm posting is what I want to write. Some of them are 5 minutes, some are 10 (I think this was a fluke in software switch). Some forums have an unlimited time to edit and others have zero. I realize it's a bit unnerving.. I have also found it to be at times.

OfLoveAndDeath

Of ❤️ and ☠️
Look at it this way - you write something and the next person replies. You edit that post but now the initial post has been quoted so now you want THAT post edited also because it says what was initially written. Or, you write something and the next people start to reply. You realize what you wrote was shitty / racist / wrong / needy / against the rules / fill in the blank with literally anything here so you edit it. Now all the responses following your
I've wanted this option for a while but never really thought of it this way. Honestly I just think it'd be nice so we can go back and edit typos, grammar, and stuff like that so that we don't have to ask you to since I'm sure you have muh better things to do than edit my mistakes from typing too quickly. There's probably even typos in this paragraph which demonstrates my point.

Callousgirl

Semper Occultus
@OfLoveAndDeath

Having a internal debate with myself, the system is set up for the best interests of the members, and the betterment of this community. I cannot explain my reasons, as it would undermine and be counterproductive to the moderators and administrators of this community.

Walker

Admin
SF Social Media
SF Author
SF Supporter
Lol, yeah. It’s funny, I couldn’t care less when it comes to anyone else but, when I notice one in my own posts, it bugs the everloving shit out of me.
Yeah I get that. I think no one else is noticing that either. It's kind of like wrinkles or grey hair or a million other things. We are the worst judges of things. I'm sorry it stresses you out. I totally get it.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00