Education and Insecurities

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by Sa Palomera, Jan 22, 2009.

1. Sa Palomera

Sa Palomera Well-Known Member

Alright, so I was bound to end up posting about this, but been putting it off, as it's all still so far away. But as it's been on my mind a lot recently, maybe I should give a vent about it a try at least. :dunno:

Some of you know I got accepted into university and can start in September. I'm gonna do the bachelor English Language and Culture as the English language is something I'm very passionate about and I hope to be able to speak English as good as the natives eventually. (Or at least nearly as good).

Now y'all might know I'm rather insecure about my English, especially my speech. I posted about it before, and I know people keep telling me that my English is just fine and everything, but I can't shake that feeling of insecurity about it off, as in my eyes, it's not good enough. And I doubt I'll ever feel it's good enough.

But that's not my main point in this post.
    What I'm starting to really stress about is whether I can actually keep up at university. I know everyone in high school has always said I should go to university, as that's what my level of intelligence can handle, but I haven't exactly done anything educational for over 2 years, and by the time I start at university I will have had no education for over 2.5 years.
    I feel I've gotten less intelligent within this time. At least that's what I notice in small things.

I could go to college rather than university, as I'm really afraid that I will have to end up dropping out of university yet again, cos of me just not being able to handle the difficulty. But that's where the other problem comes in.

There's only one course I would be interested in at college level (Translator's Academy), but that's only back in the south east part of the country, not far from where I grew up, or in one of the biggest cities in the middle of the country. And I am NOT going back down to where I grew up, as it's a shithole and I feel at my place in the area I live now. It's pretty central and I can get anywhere from around here, whereas from down there, I'd have to travel a long way just to get out of that part of the country.
    And to go to the big city up north from here. I can't. I don't feel home in big cities, especially not the big dutch ones. They're nice to visit now and again, but to live there. No.
    I'm home where I live now. If I'm moving it's gonna be into an apartment or out of the country.

I don't know. I'm just scared I guess. After all, it's been quite a while.
  2. Shauna Lea

Shauna Lea Staff Alumni

You haven't become 'less intellegent' in the time you've been out of school, you probably just need to brush up on those 'school type' skills that have been out of action. Maybe you could do a prep course if you're feeling insecure? I didn't get a score high enough to get into Uni from College (because all I did was music and hang out with Blake haha) so I had to do a prep course and it was fantastic. Basically just refreshes your memory with things like how to write an essay, a report and just gets you back into study mode. ended up getting a score high enough to get into any course - even medicine and law! Do they have something similar over there?

If not, I'd be happy to help as much as I can. I can talk to you about it, send through some things if that helps...just let me know =)

Think about it - some people go back to uni as mature age students when they are in their 30's and 40's. They might be a bit rusty at first but once they settle in they have the ability to just do as well as a recent school leaver.

As long as there's a will there's a way...and you certainly have the will! :smile:

3. Sa Palomera

Sa Palomera Well-Known Member

I don't think we have something like that over here Shauns, I haven't heard of it anyway. I'll have a look around though, maybe we do have something similar.

I think maybe I should also just grab some of the books from the course I started at in 2006. It may not be the same course this time around, but at least it'll get my brain working :dunno: