Effect of Internet social networks.

Discussion in 'Family, Friends and Relationships' started by the_nihilist_reason, Jan 18, 2008.

1. the_nihilist_reason

the_nihilist_reason Antiquities Friend

Has anyone experienced so-called social network sites making your friendship or relationship with someone deteriorate?
    Like it becomes totally meaningless or something?
  2. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

lol yep social networking sites are a waste of time if u ask me. or maybe thats just cuz im a boring stupid person with no life that no one wants to know:huh:
  3. hammockmonkey

hammockmonkey Well-Known Member

i have friends who've meet their girlfriends on place like myspace and livejournal . . . . some other friends have made very close friendships over livejournal so i dunno. personally, i don't really care about them.
  4. the_nihilist_reason

I don't have any problems making new friends. I was thinking about how it affects already existing interpersonal relationships.
    I also think that Livejournal and Facebook are somewhat different in their nature, though that depends entirely on the user.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2008
  5. Angelo_91

Angelo_91 Well-Known Member

i believe networks can help you meet people but without real human contact the relationship would fail.
  6. ggg456

ggg456 Guest

Do you mean someone preferring to network socially on the internet than real life- and the real life relationship deterioates? I've heard of things like this yes. I personally can't see how networking can take over a real life relationship but I'm not a networker myself so maybe I just can't see the appeal..

I love your avatar by the way.
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2008
  7. Crue-K

Crue-K Well-Known Member

No, I haven't.
  8. BlackPegasus

BlackPegasus Well-Known Member

I haven't seen it. A lot of the people on my friends list are real life friends. Also I actually use social networks for professional networking and business reasons and yes it's gotten me some jobs and connected me with helpful people.
  9. the_nihilist_reason

Well, WTF, it's just me then. :huh: Hah!
    Thanks peeps. :smile:
  10. FoReVeR LoSt

FoReVeR LoSt Well-Known Member

I met someone from here, she lives in Holland and I live in Canada. I flew, all by myself, over the ocean, to go stay in her house for 2 weeks. Yes, i was scared shitless, but after surviving the first night, i knew i'd be ok :laugh: I've met quite a few friends over the internet actually, it's really weird!!! and um...stupid, maybe just a little bit haha but ya, i do it too
  11. the_nihilist_reason

Hey that's great. :laugh:
    Way to go!
  12. FoReVeR LoSt

FoReVeR LoSt Well-Known Member

No one ever thought that I would do it either hahha
  13. Sa Palomera

Sa Palomera Well-Known Member

And I hope you don't regret it. I sure as hell had a blast, Samy :hug:

Most of my social network contacts are friends I met online. But that's probably because most of my real life friends do not have facebook or Myspace accounts. They are all over this Dutch equivalent of it: Hyves. Which in turn I am not too fond of :dunno: