Effectiveness of Anti-Depressants

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by History, Oct 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. History

History Well-Known Member

Hi all, I need some feedback here. Did anti-depressants managed to remove any of your suicidal urges/feelings? Did the meds help you to change your 'thoughts' in a hopeless situation. Did the meds help you in any way?
  2. Robin

Robin Guest

Everyone will react differently to meds however when i started taking anti depressants i noticed the difference physically. I also lost a lot of the aggression I was going through. I tried to stop them about 6 months ago as I couldn't really see myself getting much more miserable but then I ended up in bed for 5 days with panic inducing anxiety attacks. So, even if you don't feel a benefit they might be working in ways you don't appreciate :)
  3. necrodude

necrodude Well-Known Member

they made me numb, then angry that i was numb, then numb again. they just made me not "feel" human. i felt like a machine.
  4. depleted_soul

depleted_soul Well-Known Member

The ones I have tried did not help me in any way. I actually felt worse while taking them.
  5. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

Most people have to try more than one medication to find out what works for them. I took 3 different kinds that somewhat worked for me until I started the medication I'm on now. In my case, it definately helps. I have tried going off my meds thinking I was better and I got bad again. I recognize that my depression is a physical problem in my brain and needs medication. Meds do not take away depression 100% but my depression is not as deep and the time it lasts is shorter. This allows me to do some of the things I like to do.
  6. shefallsasleep

shefallsasleep Well-Known Member

I started mine 2 weeks ago and instead of being constantly down its more feeling down, then okay, then really down, then okay, but I duno if that's just me as they might not have even started working yet x
  7. snowraven

snowraven Well-Known Member

You do have to give these things time to start working and finding the right one for you can take a few tries. Personally I found they just made me feel worse. What's helped me more than anything is talking to people here at the forum.
  8. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

I have found I needed to be on a regimine of meds for my different problems..They keep me about 70% stable which is good for me.. The key to them is to find a good therapist to work with you.. The combination of the meds and therapy works for me..
  9. My_eyes_lie

My_eyes_lie Well-Known Member

I've tried a bunch of different ones. Effexor and Dexedrine seem to be doing the trick. I still have days/ moments when I'm incredibly depressed, but I'd have to say my mood has significantly improved.
  10. Sleepwalk

Sleepwalk Well-Known Member

I've not had much success with antidepressants. I found I still felt like crap, I just didn't care that I felt like crap. I've found much more success with a natural supplement called Daily Joy. That said, I know some people who have found great success with antidepressants. I believe it to be a matter of finding what works for you.
  11. Datura

Datura Well-Known Member

I've tried just about all the SSRIs, none of which worked.
    My psychiatrist put me on Buspar months ago, but I discontinued it within the first week because I experienced trouble breathing, tachycardia, and dizzy spells. We'll see what he prescribes me next (my appointment is this Friday).
  12. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

meds are like crotches, they help you walk but can't walk for you. It wont take away all your problems but it will reduce the intensity of how you feel things. For me it reduced my anxiety and panic attacks, my anxiety doesnt hurt me as much as before...There was a point where I tried to reduce my meds and started to feel bad...then I realised that for me those meds worked...but it took a few tries of meds to get the right combination...so you should talk to a doctor or psychiartrist about different types of anti -depressants and how they can help you...
  13. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

I think they can be beneficial, but you also have to be open to the thought that they may work. So many times in our depressive state we feel hopeless. We think nothing can help and consequently we fail to see when they do. Give them a chance and don't discount if others notice a difference and you don't.
  14. Sad Rabbit

Sad Rabbit Account Closed

Can't say they have done anything for me. Made me feel nervous and anxious all the time, made my hair fall out and gave me a painful swelling under the arm. But did it curb any desires to kill myself? No. Just the opposite. It just proved that meds are no good for me.
  15. Zoe

Zoe Well-Known Member

They saved my life and brought me back to who I used to be.

I tried several SSRI's which made things worse before settling on this one.

And they took a few months to see any improvement at all.

Before being put on these ones I felt that antidepressants wouldn't work for me and that there wasn't anything left that would help.

I had major depression and social anxiety. Suicidal depression and SA to the point of avoiding everything and hardly leaving the house.

I very rarely get anxious now but I still have work to do to build up my confidence.

I still have bad days when things go wrong but I think that's normal.

This is two years down the line of being on the maximum dose.

These meds are genius for me and have virtually no side effects, the only one being aiding sleep which is useful for me.

They are Mirtazapine (NaSSAs, noradrenergic and specific serotonergic antidepressants). 45mg.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2009
  16. sweetiepet

sweetiepet New Member

i`m on venlafaxine 75mg twice a day and they dont stop the thoughts i`ve tried other antidepressants and they dont seem to work i think drs think ah these will work but hey what do they know? we are the ones living with it and trying to cope and as soon as you tell people you have a mental illness its like you have the plague they think ah there gaga sorry i`m ranting but it feels good to talk to people who are on your wavelength
  17. Rukia

Rukia Well-Known Member

The first ones I was on made me hearing voices and the second ones took away my depression, but the suicidal feelings haven't changed.
  18. Tam

Tam Well-Known Member

I was on Seroxat, an SSRI, and while it didn't stop suicidal thoughts, it did stop the thing making me suicidal - so I guess in that sense they worked.
  19. papertiger

papertiger Member

Antidepressants worked for me, but it took a few months with therapy to adjust. At first it made me very jumpy and I would cry at a drop of a hat, but after changing the dosing it regulated after a while.
    It was like a cloud lifted off my head, and I was seeing the world for the first time. For once there weren't constant thoughts going through my head, which had pushed me to being suicidal in the first place and I could interact with reality instead of living in a bubble outside it.

I think it's very different from case to case. For example, people I know who are on antipsychotics, antidepressants didn't really work for them unless it was in high doses. Unfortunately, it takes a bit of trial and error.
  20. Jacob1973

Jacob1973 Well-Known Member

I have been on them for a few weeks. The first one made me incredibly unable to sleep. But the suicidal thoughts went away.. mostly. But I now feel a bit like a zombie, especially on the new zoloft 25mg im taking. I only am sleeping 2hr bursts at night. Its not as much of an urge 90% of the time, but when it is, its much stronger of an urge. I dont know.. i feel even more.. quiet. If you knew me, I am already an extremely introverted person to begin with. Now I dont even feel like associating with people. Dont know if its the meds or what.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.