Effects of brief strangulation?

Discussion in 'Self Care and Healthy Lifestyles' started by Hae-Gi, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Hae-Gi

Hae-Gi Banned Member

I got really upset about something, a little while ago, so I strangled myself for up to three seconds... I stopped when I came to think about brain damage. I've heard that strangulation can lead to build-up of waste material in the brain, which will lead to brain damage (and dementia, later in life, if you live a longer life). I have a very strange headache, in various places of my head, now, so I was wondering if anyone knows how long it takes for waste material to have time to build up? How long does the strangulation have to take place for brain damage to occur, as well?
  2. resistance

resistance Staff Alumni

I wouldn't have thought 3 seconds would cause too much long term damage, if any. It takes a few minutes for hypoxia to effect the brain. If you're concerned about the headaches though do get them checked out with a doctor, at the end of the day we're not health professionals and they'll be able to help you more with this issue. :hug:
  3. Hae-Gi

Hae-Gi Banned Member

Nevermind... I guess my hypochondria is making me a bit irrational... although I did continue having weird headaches, that whole day, I woke up with a slight, unusual headache, and I guess I do have a strange headache, now, too... maybe I'm just thinking more than I usually do about the headaches that I usually have, though... of course, if anyone has information on what it takes for brain damage and build-up of waste material to occur, I would appreciate if I would get access to it, since it would put my mind at peace.
  4. Hae-Gi

Hae-Gi Banned Member

Oh, didn't see that, before... yeah, I know that most, at least, that access this site aren't doctors, but some may have access to information, anyway... I don't like doctors, and do my best to avoid visiting them... I know all aren't bad, but most are arrogant. Anyway, I don't like talking to strangers in "real life," so regardless if they are polite or not, I don't want to meet them... I always want to try my best to self-diagnose...