EFFEXOR HIGHEST SUICIDE RATE MEDICATION FDA says

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by LILICHIPIE, Jan 17, 2008.

1. LILICHIPIE

LILICHIPIE Well-Known Member

I currently am on effexor ( Zoloft previously which make me feel dizzy and itching anyways..)

Ive experienced since then awful nightamres, dreadful death thoughts, voices echos while im talking or someone talking. Ive talked about that to my shrink and we might reviex the medication. I was put on effexor so as to be able to bear Lithium ( for my Bi-polar).
    Ive read and this has been confirmed by my shrink while talking about it with him that i should be careful about my own suicidial thoughts ( how nice to tell me that AFTER having been put on it, well anyways, just really MAD) because

effexor has the worst suicide rate because of its withdrawals ( as addictive as lithium and prozac).

I googled some infos about this and thought i might share it with you if ur on ur way to be put on effexor. If I had the intelligence to have googled that before, i would have NEVER accepted to be put on that shitty drug , no matter how bad my mood swings are and even if thats what it takes to be on lithium after.
    AGAIN: dread throat, being "high", bright colors, awful death nightmares, dreadful suicidial thoughts, loss of eating, 4-6 hours sleep for a few days and then 12_18 hours on a row are what im experiencing. i know this is personal but well i thought would be good to put a warning. NEVER TAKE THIS DRUG.
    I hope this prevents.
    Google effexor and suicide thats FRIGHTENING

EFFEXOR WITHDRAWAL TESTIMONY
    My 20 year old son, Tayler, committed suicide while attempting to get off of effexor. In his Will he writes: "The effexor XR is horrible, but it's impossible to get off of safely. Search google for "verlafaxine withdrawal". But the pain, the pills... there is no other way out. I wanted/hoped that things would improve. Paxil and effexor are evil DRUGS, made and prescribed for the profit of Pharmaceutical companies...with no care taken about the effects they have on a person's brain, body, well-being, and safety. You really should read up on the horrible experiences people have suffered due to paxil, and/or effexor. The nightmares, psychosis, feeling of a need to get up/do something, suicidal thoughts, nausea, skin-crawling feeling, etc. The constant pain, strange feelings, nervousness, uneasy feelings, toothaches, dizzyness, nausea, etc. It's too much to take. I really wish the psychosis was not so bad. I feel so uneasy, strange, like I'm not ME.

from FDA, feb 2007 BULLETIN

effexor is the number one antidepressant with the highest suicide rate.
    Ten families from across the United States have joined forces to bring wrongful death and personal injury suits against the drug giant Wyeth alleging that their respective family members committed impulsive acts of violence - mostly suicides-or attempted them-shortly after taking Wyeth's best-selling drug, Effexor.

The suit was filed in Federal Court in Philadelphia, near Wyeth's corporate headquarters in Collegeville, Pa. The suit alleges that Wyeth's drug Effexor-an antidepressant-was responsible for the deaths of eight people and for injuries to three other teenagers. The average length of time that the patients took the drug before their deaths was ten days.

Citing Wyeth's own clinical trial data, the lawsuit also alleges that Wyeth knew for years that hostility and self-harm were side effects of Effexor but made a conscious decision not to warn prescribing physicians or consumers, fearing a loss of market share in the multi-billion dollar anti-depressant industry. The lawsuit does not seek any specific amount in damages, but seeks a determination that Effexor causes suicide in some patients who have never been known to be suicidal before they took the drug and a finding regarding Wyeth's "fault" for failing to warn about that risk.

The patients taking venlafaxine had significantly higher risk of completed suicide than the ones on fluoxetine (Prozac) (2.8 times) or citalopram (Celexa) (2.4 times).
    Even after taking into consideration the fact that venlafaxine was generally prescribed for more severe depression, venlafaxine was associated with 1.6-1.7 times more suicides than fluoxetine or citalopram;Venlafaxine is contraindicated to children, adolescents and young adults; This may result in experiencing withdrawal symptoms described as severe discontinuation syndrome

The high risk of withdrawal symptoms may reflect venlafaxine's short half-life.Missing even a single dose can induce discontinuation effects in some patients.

Discontinuation is similar in nature to those of SSRIs such as Paroxetine (Paxil or Seroxat). Sudden discontinuation of venlafaxine has a high risk of causing potentially severe withdrawal symptoms.[ As reported in 2001 by Haddad PM in the journal Drug Safety[4], "another strategy to consider is switching to fluoxetine, which may suppress the discontinuation symptoms, but which has little tendency to cause such symptoms itself,”

Venlafaxine's toxicity appears to be higher than other SSRIs, with a fatal toxic dose closer to that of the tricyclic antidepressants than the SSRIs. Doses of 900 mg or more are likely to cause moderate toxicity.Deaths have been reported following very low doses.

be careful!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2008
  2. mrclean4456

mrclean4456 Member

thanks for posting this...I'm on effexor also...and scared!!!

3. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

Very informative, even if your doctor recommends this stuff, you can always refuse and request other medication or options.

Personally I was given Efexor (with one f) and the side effects were literally unbearable. I suffered nausea like never before and eventually I physically couldn't get those capsules in my mouth anymore. I would shake, tremble and break down as I was holding it because I knew how sick it was gonna make me. Now I have a phobia of all plastic capsule pills.

But yeah, I've heard a lot of negativity surrounding Efexor and Effexor.

4. LILICHIPIE

LILICHIPIE Well-Known Member

its EfFexor as for french medication ( EFFEXOR LP)
    this drugs killing me

5. smackh2o

smackh2o SF Supporter

I'm on Venlafaxine. It's working brilliantly for me but hearing this i'm worried about prolonged use. I don't see any other options though. Other than to change meds but i've alreasdy done that 3 times and I finally found one that works for me...

"another strategy to consider is switching to fluoxetine, which may suppress the discontinuation symptoms, but which has little tendency to cause such symptoms itself,”

even more worrying is that I went on that for 3 weeks and went so low I started hurting myself again.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2008
  6. SadDude87

SadDude87 Well-Known Member

Please, if you try and discontinue it do it very slowly. I came to this site because I was having terrible withdrawls from stopping cold turkey. All the best.

7. Uninitiated

Uninitiated New Member

A good way to know you need to find another doctor is if they prescribe this crap to you.

8. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

Antidepressants in general are not very good drugs if they're making people suicidal. The drug companies make these drugs so that people can be hooked for life on them and they can profit off us.

9. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member

I remember reading that when I was planning my tricyclic overdose.