Electro-convulsive Therapy?

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by AngelofPainandMisery, Oct 4, 2015.

1. AngelofPainandMisery

AngelofPainandMisery Fails to communicate effectively

Has anyone tried electro-convulsive therapy or something similar? Has anyone heard of or know anything about it or can give advice?
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

There are pros and cons but your doctor can tell you them I have seen it work well on some clients it is used to treat hard to treat depression
    and usually you have a series of treatments not just a one time thing
  3. AngelofPainandMisery

AngelofPainandMisery Fails to communicate effectively

Well I can't ask the doctor and even if I could she'd just dismiss it with out hearing me out anyways. So I've been doing my own research, which is why I'm asking.
  4. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

I can tell you it is much better now then in old days it is not painful and it does help many they say there is short term memory loss but not all people experiance this It is good you are doing your own research as well but if you can go to the hospital and talk to the nurses there who can go over what happens and they will tell you and perhaps walk you through the precedure
  5. Danialla

Danialla Well-Known Member

I have ECT every 2 weeks and it is very easy. I do it out patient so when I arrive at the hospital I get a hospital gown and a nurse then starts an IV. My Pdoc arrives and says hi and asks how I've been. After that the docs that put me to sleep come into say hello and starts the oxogen and put the sleep meds in my IV. I fall right to sleep.

When I wake up I am asked if I would like anything to drink or eat. My Pdoc usually hangs around and tells me what kind of siezure I had. I wait in recovery for about 45 mins and then I am released. I stop, buy coffee and then I head right to work.

All and all it is the easy procedure and I have suffered no side effects......I know I am one of the lucky ones:). Good luck to you too.