Electroconvulsive therapy (ECT)

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by The_8th_Wonder, Sep 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_8th_Wonder

The_8th_Wonder senior Member

Electroconvulsive therapy or ETC is a known method to "cure" depression. I've been told by medical professials that this method has an 80% success rate of curing depression. Personally I think that's a load of BS as I have been through seven treatment sessions and have not noticed anything.

I believe that this treatment should be banned because the hospitals are simply doing it to make money. The treatment doesn't work - It just gives people the disillusion that they are better while really they are doing all of the mental and physical work.

2. cofmadness

cofmadness Well-Known Member

hmmm that's good to know, I've been wondering about this

3. Issaccs

Issaccs Well-Known Member

Funnily enough ECT is actually very effective.
    Its also a huge placebo effect.
    Point is it does work for most people who take it.

As for banning it, prozac doesn't make everyone who takes it happy either, so should we ban that too? How about Lithium?
    That and I live in the U.K, where all treatment costs the hospital money and the NICE wont let anything through the NHS if it costs more than a couple of quid and they don't believe its a wonder drug...

4. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

I have seen it improve people lifes a great deal yet for others it does not effect but it does take several treatments Listen to you doc sometimes it does take up to 12-13 times before any noticable difference It does help some.

5. mike25

mike25 Well-Known Member

I don't know if it works or not. It looks cruel. If it does have a positive effect, it's not because the ECT in itself has worked, but rather the brain has unleashed a compensatory survival mechanism to preserve its integrity by avoiding future treatments.
    I'd recommend regular exercise (not just for a week or two, it would have to become part of ones lifestyle, like eating and going to bed), such as running, cycling, swimming, gym work, together with a healthy diet, before trying ECT, or for that matter, any anti-depressant medication.
    Personally, I think ECT should be confined to history.

6. Issaccs

Issaccs Well-Known Member

Why cruel?

Or is all your knowledge of ECT based on watching One Flew Over The Cookoos Nest?

7. worlds edge

worlds edge Well-Known Member

8. bluegrey

bluegrey Antiquities Friend

I've been through it four times. It does work but I don't think I'll ever go through it again because of my personal side effects. After each treatment I had a POUNDING headache and after several treatments I began to feel generally confused and like an inarticulate moron.

Again it worked very well for me and some of the other patients seemed to have barely any ill effects. I would definitely recommend anyone who is contemplating it to give it a try.

Just my two cents.

9. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

I have a healthy lifestyle. It's not working. I'm considering ECT because I'm so damned desperate.

10. Hae-Gi

Hae-Gi Banned Member

This is probably the exact reason why it does work at times. Considering that it, after all, is an electrical shock that is given, it must be assumed that the shock burns parts of the brain, and temporarily or permanently lessens your intellect. And as we know, less intellectual people are happier, even when they have no reason to be, while those who constantly think often end up in deep psychological pain. The other effects probably can be attributed to the placebo effect... I do not view the placebo effect as false treatment, as what it does in fact can, both psychologically and physically, make the individual better, merely through the power of one's own will, but there are far better ways to bring about the placebo effect than through ECT.

I don't care how many have been helped by it - people, such as epileptics, have been helped through lobotomy, as well - that hardly means it should be an accepted practice. ECT should indeed be banned... it's sickening that they use it to randomly play around with the connections in the brains of desperate people.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.