Electroconvulsive therapy

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by GabrielConroy, Dec 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GabrielConroy

GabrielConroy Well-Known Member

2. Aaron

Aaron Well-Known Member

Apparently in some cases it's quite an effective treatment...I'd like to try it.
  3. rzoo09

rzoo09 New Member

Im completely opposed it. I saw it in one of my clinical visits to the hospital. It is very cruel and unethical.
  4. crookxshanks

crookxshanks Well-Known Member

i saw the after-effects of it on a friend i met on the psych ward i was on. terrified the life out of me. at the time i thought they were extremly drugged up but then found out the place i was admitted to actually had ect
  5. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

Umm... As someone that has experienced it five times, it's not at all as you describe. The big misunderstanding is this (mostly misunderstood because of the way it used to be done)

YOU ARE SEDATED. Completely. Not one bit of cognition left. They put you on the bed/table thing, put on some electrodes and then give you a full body anaesthetic. You wake up a few hours later groggy, but absolutely free of pain.

It's perfectly painless, and unless you're absolutely inconsolable, it's left to your prerogative. Very important, too, is how effective it is and how immediately.
  6. jonstark

jonstark Well-Known Member

7. EmptyLife

EmptyLife Well-Known Member

I would like to hear more from people who have had it. Doctors have recommended it for me at times because no medications have worked, and I have been trying medications since I was in my teens. I am now 44 and have had a life of chronic misery. I think of death every day. I made a recent suicide attempt that I have told no one about until this sentence. Who knows how early in childhood I became depressed?
    From my research and people I've met, I just don't find it would be effective for me. I find the people it has worked for were almost catatonic, and on them it had dramatic results. I can hold a job; I'm just miserable. If I thought it would help, I would have already had it.
  8. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

It's the most effective treatment available. It worked for me when all medications failed.
  9. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

I'm going back in the hospital the end of this week and my shrink wants me to have it done. There aint no f***in way it is happening!!!! I suffer from bad headaches all the time and have migranes once or twice a week and I am not risking making them any worst!!! NO WAY!!!~Joseph~
  10. Hazel

Hazel SF & Antiquitie's Friend Staff Alumni

I've had ECT and believe it was the turning point in my recovery, prior to ECT I had numerous antidepressants none of which worked over a period of 6 years.
    Since ECT I have been on Cymbalta (now on half dose) and it had immediate positive effects.
    I'm not saying ECT was an instant cure but I believe without it I would still be, at best in the grips of deep suicidal depression more likely I would be dead.
  11. physician

physician Well-Known Member

It is important to know that today the ECT is not like in the movies and in the past.

It is done with a general anesthesia, so you dont know nothing what is happening and you dont feel nothing.

It is done with a myorelaxant (eg. diazepam) which means you dont experience severe seizures.

And it is helpful in 80% of the patients.

It lasts from 10 to 15 minutes, and it is recommended to be done in sessions from 2-4 weeks, usually 2-3 times a week.

If your doctor recommends this, than do it, it is a very save procedure, and the risk of death is only from the anesthetic, as it is with any operation involving general anesthetic.
  12. EmptyLife

EmptyLife Well-Known Member

80% is the medical establishment's line. from what i've read on the message boards, the satisfaction rate is far less, and the permanent effects on memory loss are far greater than is represented to patients.
  13. annie-crafts

annie-crafts Well-Known Member

I've had ECT twice. The first time in '99, it helped "alittle bit" or so the Dr's told me. It got me thru the end of graduate school. I actually had a treatment on the day I was graduating from school. But when my friend picked me up after the treatment - I looked at her and "Liz, what do I do?" She said, "Well, today you are graduating from from your masters degree program." I look back on it now and laugh, it was shortly after that the Dr's stopped the treatments becuse they felt like I had "gotton all I could out of the treatment."

But shortly after the treatments, I had to move home with my parents because I couldn't function. Luckily i had the treatments when I was nearly done with my Masters or who knows what I would remember. I do remember my program.

I had it again in '06. It made me more depressed and more suicidal. But that is just MY experience. I hear from some people that it helped them a great deal.

I have had major memory loss due to it. I don't remember things that people told me last week, last month. So many times, when family or friends have brought up the recent past, I have no memory or foggy, little memory. I have to say, that as far as I can tell, it just affected my memories from after the time I had ect the first time. Which is basically the last 10 years. I still have some very clear memories, and it didn't take away all my memories. But I have trouble with the day to day remembering things. It's frustrating and annoying, but I've just learned to laugh at it mostly because I know that I can't be 100 percent certain about anything. But I write down alot of things in journals, calandars, date books, to do lists, I don't delete most of my emails, etc. I do this so that I know what I've been doing. But there are times when I look at something that I wrote from last week and I really don't remember it. But at least this way, I have some way to keep track of things.

I don't regret that I tried it. When I had it again in '06, I made the decision to stop it on my own, because I knew I was just getting worse, even though my Dr was mad at me for stopping. This time, I knew that ECT was DEFINATELY not for me.

From what I can tell, it's very individual. Some people respond well, some don't , but unfortunelty there is no way of knowing who it is going to help.

I say weigh your options. Talk to as many people as you can. Make sure that you trust your Dr and have a support system around if you can. Sometimes they can be more observant if it is helping or not.

It's a tough decision to make. Good Luck and again, this is just MY experience. :blink: :blink:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.