Electroconvulsive Therapy?

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by The_8th_Wonder, Sep 14, 2009.

1. The_8th_Wonder

The_8th_Wonder senior Member

I finally turned to Electroconvulsive Therapy (Also known as ECT) to try and help me with my terrible depression. I've had multiple treatments but still haven't noticed much of a difference. My doctor says it can take some time to work but I really don't see how something of this sort can actually help somebody.

Has anybody had success with ECT or is currently trying it?

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

No but i have heard it can take awhile for treatment to be effective Ihope it starts working for you.

3. worlds edge

worlds edge Well-Known Member

I went for an evaluation and was turned down. Apparently I'm neither depressed nor crazy enough. :rolleyes:

Though I'm honestly not sure how I could have done it on an outpatient basis. They don't let you drive afterwards, meaning someone would have had to tie up a whole day looking after me, several times a week initially. And there's no one in my life willing to do that.

4. physician

physician Well-Known Member

Don't worry. It helps for most of the people, with an average 60 to 70 percent!!

5. Hazel

Hazel SF & Antiquitie's Friend Staff Alumni

It helped me when all else had failed, it took a fair few treatments before change began to kick in. My advise is keep with it, complete the course and I hope it works for you too.

6. bluegrey

bluegrey Antiquities Friend

I've been through four courses of ECT over nearly two decades. It did work for me each time but I don't see myself getting the treatment again because of my personal side effects- pounding headaches after each treatment and generalized temporary confusion.