Emergency Alert System nationwide test tomorrow, 11/9, tell your friends

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prinnctopher's Belt

Antiquities Friend
SF Supporter
The first national Emergency Alert System (EAS) test will take place tomorrow.

This nationwide test will kick off on all broadcast outlets at 2:00 p.m. eastern time and run across all time zones. This system test is the first of its kind designed to broadcast a nationwide message to the American public.

As you may already know, there have been tests like this in the past, but officials say nothing like it has ever been conducted at this level in U.S. history. The three minute test will run on all radio and TV stations, playing a general 30 second to one-minute test message.

"This is what they've been working on for a while. Now, they're going to try and see what happens when they try to do a nationwide alert at one time. Relax... it is just a test, just to see if the nation has the capability of doing a quick alerting if we need to," said Paul Bump, Harrison & Taylor County 911 Director.

Local police and emergency management officials are concerned there may be public anxiety over this test if folks don't know what it is or why it's happening. So they're asking everyone to please share this information with your family and friends so they'll be prepared for it.

Not everyone watches the news... that's my only guess.
As for why we would need a nationwide alert, your guess is as good as mine. Maybe someone is going to blow up everything at one time??? Haha, "We will all go together when we go!" to quote the great Tom Lehrer.

justMe7

Why would a country need to send an emergency nationwide message? isn't that what the news does anyway?
It's effective in letting everyone know if something seriously important has occoured instantly. Like someone said, not everyone watches the news. But there is a difference of "mental/social/countrywide" impact when everything is spewing one core message to everyone at once. It dominates attention over anything else, which makes the presentation of the situation more "important" and the presentation of the "solution" more important.

I read on some dodgy website that this was going to also be used on in the internet aswell? That'd be awsome if it made every .com website instantly refresh and re-direct to the broadcasting. I'd highjack that system and make people listen to something important. Like the ninja turtles theme song :P:canucks:

Growing Pains

I read on some dodgy website that this was going to also be used on in the internet aswell? That'd be awsome if it made every .com website instantly refresh and re-direct to the broadcasting. I'd highjack that system and make people listen to something important. Like the ninja turtles theme song :P:canucks:
If that's true, I guess that answers my question. :tongue:

Though, "dodgy" does make me a bit doubtful.

BrinkOfExistence

Yes, but if an attack happened in london as much as i'd be sad about it there's nothing i could do being in manchester and interrupting TV or radio isn't going to make a difference (even though thats what the news does if something big happens), all that will happen is i know something terrible has happened and now i feel shit about it, to be honest i'd rather not know.

The only reason i could think is if there was an imminent invasion or nuclear attack.

Who would have the guts and the resources to invade America and if there was a nuclear attack would you rather spend your last few minutes in panic and despair or quietly watching your 'uninterrupted' TV show sipping a beer?

I think it's pointless because i don't believe anything large enough would happen that would aquire the attention of the entire nation but i suppose if it puts your mind at ease knowing that all hell is breaking loose, then it couldn't hurt.

justMe7

I think a big part of it is a moral thing. Making everyone aware at the sametime, letting them all know at the sametime that they're all in it together. ect ect. Plus they have complete control on the initial/offical presentation and direction of the situation. Kinda makes a mental map for peopel to cling onto when their world is fractured.

Alot of people run off the flow of society, so if something happens that's major it helps them to know that their country is on it, that everyones going in this direction, and what the best thing they can do. According to some twat on a screen atleast.

I guess since they are "intertwining" all national networks, they are also setting up a system for other applications.

xan

Chat Buddy
It's so the president can say "My fellow Americans..." It's what he always says when the world is about to end.... in movies at least

Lost

Staff Alumni
I heard it was just to test to see just how flawed it is in today's world and judging whether or not to implement something more up to date.

lightbeam

Antiquities Friend
The Extinction Level Event! Brought about by Harry Potter, Dumbeldore, and Voldemort.

Oh yeah, and there was *NO* testing of this warning system since I was online as well as had the TV on at noon MDT... Must be a pretty flawed system. Can't coordinate something as simple as a hello across 4 time zones.

Last edited by a moderator:

Megan.

SF Supporter
Thought it was funny that this got me a bit even though I knew it was coming. I even knew it was at 2 PM EST, but I thought it was on Friday or something.

Congratulations, you got me government!

Good thing I get internet in the bunker.

I'm also pretty sure that Twitter and smart phones have made the entire system obsolete.

lightbeam

Antiquities Friend
The EAS was not tested, if there even was one. I think this is another conspiracy thing. The US is going to take over the world!!! Mwahahahahahahahaha! *cough*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00