Emergency detention sucks!

Discussion in 'After Effects' started by Dreamland, Sep 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dreamland

Dreamland Well-Known Member

I never thought I'd be posting here, considering I was really well in 2012 and even felt I would only be back here to be a support for others during their hardest times. I figured I would be a success story--someone who made it through the darkness and could offer a rope to functionality and clarity for others. Unfortunately, depression is a life-long battle in my case, and I think this time I've really realized that I'll be dealing with it forever.

Recently I had an attempt (or near attempt, I guess), and my girlfriend ended up calling 911 from work. I have never felt so low or horrible or humiliated as when I had to be treated as a danger to myself and others and placed in handcuffs. I was cuffed to a hospital bed for 3 hours while they did my medical clearance, and then I was transferred to a county mental health facility for emergency involuntary detention. I was there for less than 24 hours, luckily (probably because I already had a therapy appointment set and was on anti-depressants), and I found it so bizarre and depressing and uncomfortable that I can't fathom what it would be like to be court-ordered to stay there for weeks (or months) like some of the others. It was this weird line between living in the real world and living in the "crazy" world. And yet, sometimes I felt that the patients there were more normal than the nurses and doctors. But then, I guess all of us were messed up together.

Has anyone else been detained like this? How long was your ordeal? How did you cope? How are you making sure you never end up that low again? I'd love to know how you're doing so we can bond together and agree to never go back to that.
  2. Butterfly

Butterfly Resident SF Sims Enthusiast Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

I've never been detained, but have been in some very dark places over the years. I am sorry to hear about your experience, it must have been horrible and terrifying. Here's to wishing you good health and hope you are feeling better :hug:
  3. stapleremover

stapleremover Chat Buddy

I wasn't detained in the same way, but I've gone to the hospital psychiatric ward after every attempt and they lock the doors to the ward. And in my area, you generally go through the Emergency Department before being transferred to up to the psych ward, and again there's a special area of Emergency for psych patients that is locked (although the individual rooms or areas are not).
  4. In Singapore, I also need to go through the doors of the emergency room and was locked inside the hospital's psych sub ward. It's a confined ward. If I go through the main mental hospital in singapore, it's is far worse as the place is very gloomy, looked like a prison (the windows have grills and mesh until your little finger also cannot pass through), no hygiene (anybody can just sleep on your bed and you don't have your own bed - you just sleep on any empty bed you can find in the ward), shared toothbrush the length of your little finger, no phone, no computers or whatsoever, oy 4 blank walks for you to stare at all day long. Lucky I got admitted into the general hospital psych sub ward. More privilege there (can use own ipad, phone or computer), except cannot walk in and out of the ward as you like as its a confined ward.
  5. shadowonthewall

shadowonthewall Well-Known Member

I have been detained once, because the police chanced by and intervened whilst I was making preparations to commit suicide. I was speaking calmly and rationally and they gave me a choice between detention in a psychiatric ward and detention in jail with the possibility of a charge for breach of the peace. I think that there is nothing more tyrannical than depriving someone of their freedom because they choose to exercise ownership over their own body and their own life. That experience, even though the hospital stay itself wasn't traumatic, has awakened me to the fact that I do not own my life.
  6. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

I never was detained for few hours I ended up staying for 3 days and beyond everytime I'm involuntary committed n changed it to voluntary to up my chances for discharge earlier
  7. FMyLife

FMyLife Chat Buddy

I have never been detained by the police but I have been involuntarily committed. Hope you are doing better tho
  8. Mel2809

Mel2809 Active Member

I have been detained several times a few through the emergency room...where they just closed the glass doors of the room and peaked in every once and awhile. I've also dealt with the humiliation of being taken away in the back seat of a squad car with hand cuffs and placed on a 72hr hold at the psychiatric hospital. I completely understand the humiliation. Having experienced the process of intake into the psych ward in several different hospitals I'm not sure which is worse...having to take a shower with a staff member watching your every move or getting the privilege of getting to sleep in the day room because you are on suicide watch.
  9. K8E

K8E Well-Known Member

I walked into hospital asking for help because I was very close to carrying out my plan and with a history of an earlier attempt. I was admitted as a 'voluntary' patient but when I wanted to go home they threatened me with a section for six months. I managed to get out after seven days.
    The psychiatric ward was one of the most depressing places I have ever been. It stank of cigarette smoke as most of the women chain smoked in the outdoor area whose doors were open day and night into the lounge. Most of the furniture in public areas was stained and/or broken. Almost all of the women had been on the admissions ward for months and in several cases years. Some were very, very disturbed, disruptive and noisy. Nurses shone a torch into my room every hour, every night. The shower didn't drain so I spent every morning sweeping water by hand into the drain as otherwise it would run into my room. Stuff got taken by other patients out of rooms or got lost by staff or broken in storage. You had to carry anything of value with you at all times.
    There was nowhere to wash clothing so if you didn't have family and were there for any length of time you ended up wearing dirty clothes. The staff spent all of their time in the office with the door closed apart from one healthcare assistant who sat at the desk or took the register every couple of hours. There was no therapy or activities and I spent a lot of time outside my room with other patients listening to them and teaching them about mental illness and treatments.
    I felt ignored and treated like an idiot. One member of staff would walk past and act as if you didn't exist. One young woman self harmed daily and walked around the ward with open wounds and blood running down her face. When I spoke to the staff about it they said 'we know about her.' and did nothing apart from put her into rip proof clothing.
    When I arrived I was told nothing about mealtimes, where or when to get my medication or what my treatment plan was. I drew up a daily schedule for myself, spent my time in my room with a book and my radio and doing yoga. If I had wanted to I could easily have committed suicide while on the ward. There were methods available, it was laughable really.
    I got out by being completely co-operative and smiling when provoked by the incompetence and ignorance of the staff. I am determined to never, ever end up there again. This means not being as honest as I was with the medical team and knowing that the only person that can help me is me with support from this site.
    The food was good though and I have got better support since discharge.
  10. ATLAFlame

ATLAFlame Banned Member

Never been detained/sectioned and its something I'm actively avoiding.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.