EMERGENCY: need some math help!

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by KittyGirl, Dec 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

what a lame emergency.
    Okay... first of all, I just want to say I *did* do very well with basic math when I was in highschool but since there was zero math in film school- I guess my brain completely forgot how to do things.

I have a problem and I need help solving it~ my dyscalculia/dyslexia/not having slept in days and sleeping meds are not working AT ALL- is really effing me up and I just can't figure out for the LIFE of me how to do this!!

I'm making a piece of wall art for my brother.
    It is basically a big rectangle of wood that I will attach CD's to-- to cover the wood from edge to edge< creating a shiny CD wall effect.
    I need to know exactly how wide and long this piece of wood needs to be (in inches), so that I can get it cut at the hardware store today.

A CD is approximately 12cm in diameter
    12cm = 4.7 inches (...right? lol)

I would like the wood to be around 3 feet x 4 feet (36x48inches)

So... how big does this piece of wood need to be to fit the maximum amount of CD's on it?
    Also... because I'm retarded and can't figure it out (although it doesn't really matter because I've got plenty of CD's) -- how many CD's will I need to fill this piece of wood?

...if you can include the steps to figuring this problem out too, I would appreciate it! I promise not to ask any more retarded questions! XD
  2. KittyGirl

haha... welcome back to grade 6, people.
  3. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

Ohhh, I would fail sixth grade math right now!!! :lol!: Sorry, I'm absolutely no help here!
  4. victor

victor Account Closed

its either im also retarted or smth is not right with ur question :D lol
  5. damage.case

damage.case Well-Known Member

12 cm = 4.7244 inches

A 3 x 4 foot piece of wood would hold 7.6 x 10.2 cds. If you rounded down to 7 x 10 cds you would need 70 cds and a piece of wood that is 33.07 inches x 47.24 inches.
  6. KittyGirl

well... I tried fooling around with the numbers some more and figured that

8 CD's at 4.7 inches = 37.6
    10 CD's at 4.7 inches = 47
    I think that's as close as it would get... but that also means... um... 80 CD's? wut? XD wow.
    I have that many, yeah-- it just seems like alot for such a small surface area.
  7. KittyGirl

oh! holy crap- I just barely beat you to the answer! but yours was much more exact.
    Thankyou for the explanation, too!
    I think I get it now.
  8. foreverforgotten

foreverforgotten Well-Known Member

I don't even know what a daimeter is.
    I failed 3 math classes in highschool. Wow that sounds
    Slightly hard. They ask questions like that on job
    applications too sometimes. Goodluck! D:
    I hope you get it right.
  9. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

A diameter is the maximum distance between two points on a circle (or it's a line connecting two points on the circle and the centre, they're the same thing)
  10. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

I think it's so cool how some people can do a math problem with no stress at all. I see a math problem and I break out in a cold sweat, start having negative thoughts about myself and negative feelings about myself too.

It's an old habit of reacting this way because I didn't know until I was 45 that I have a working memory disability. Now I know it's a physical difference I have and it's not a reflection of my worth as a person

I love math. I finally tackled it in college when I was in my 40s. I even got A's. Only thing is now, I'd have to relearn it to do it at that level again. I hate it that I can't remember how to approach math problems. When I was working in an office, I always kept cheat sheets so I could deal with stuff that needed doing.
  11. Kaos General

Kaos General Well-Known Member

You beat me to it lol yeah it would hold 7x10 CD's
  12. KittyGirl

Well, I can't do math in my head at all. I also have a hard time spelling things properly, as I tend to substitute letters for other letters or numbers...
    I was in 'special' classes all the way until highschool because of dyslexia.
    Other kids called me a retard on a daily basis because I couldn't do things quickly- or at all... I had to have a computer/calculator do even simple multiplication for me because it doesn't make any sense in my head.

I* did really well in highschool because we were encouraged to use a calculator for everything and I had all of the formulas and techniques down pat in my head-- so I ended up getting math awards for 3 years out of 4.

I don't have a calculator now, though... and I can't remember how to figure out the steps to solve a math problem, so I usually get stumped- insult myself and give up.

I think the best thing anyone can do for themselves-- is not give up and remember that; yeah... numbers are hard but they are not going anywhere < so take the time to figure it out- ask for help and you'll feel much better knowing how it's done in the end.
  13. LogDork

LogDork Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

It would be really cool to lay them on in a shingle pattern, or maybe make a fish with them? Jigsaw out a fish shape on plywood, and glue them on... I like that idea, lots of old CDs around to play with.
    I wonder what would be the best way to cut them?
    You could probably find a cheap scroll saw at a second hand store, or yard sale, and put a really fine blade on it, that would be the safest way I can think of.
  14. KittyGirl

That's very creative but I really don't have money to be buying tools. I'm kind of stuck with what I have.... which are my mom's tools since the ex has all of my tools still.

Maybe the next project will be something a bit more complicated~
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.