Emotions all over the show right now

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Tony7, Nov 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tony7

Tony7 Member

Everthing is just getting weirder and worse. I went to the doctors on Thursday and explained the problems I've had, and she decided to change my meds from 40mg citalopram to 75 venlafaxine. I got to do a week on 20 of citalopram before changing over tho.
    Well. Today, I was in very high spirits. Very unusual. Happy, whistling, and even singing while at work. I was like that for a good few hours until having a conversation with a friend at work, and he totally unknowingly and innocently made a comment that sent me straight back down into the depth of depression again. It was instant though!!! But after the conversation and when I'd got back to working it's hard to explain, but I wanted to be happy and sing again but at the same time I was feeling really low and having bad thoughts and almost crying. Does any of this make any sense to anyone?
    Also does anyone have any experience to share of venlafaxine?

2. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

i've never been on that particular med but i've known plenty of rapid cycling bipolar people who go through many moods in a day, extreme highs to extreme lows in a flash. have you ruled that out as a diagnosis?

3. Tony7

Tony7 Member

No, I haven't ruled anything out. But my doctor just said that it's unlikely. And I made a mistake in my previous post. It's 75 mg venlafaxine but twice a day. So 150 mg a day.

4. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

doctors can get it wrong, for sure. and certain anti depressants can trigger rapid cycling. there's more info here: http://www.mooddisorders.on.ca/cycle.html

i'd keep a journal of your mood swings and take it with you next time you see your doctor. is this a gp or a psychiatrist?

5. KatyKate

KatyKate Antiquities Friend

Hi...i've been taking Venlafaxine for just over a year now...150mg (AM) & 75mg (PM). Its the only antidepressant that has really worked for me and i've tried a lot in the 14 years that i've suffered with depression. Have tried Citalopram before.... did absolutely nothing for me.
    A friend of mine also takes Venlafaxine, and has done so for a number of years because it keeps him stable. When I first went on it he told me that the positive effects would only take a matter of days...which they did, within only 3 days my mood had begun to lift and I remained stable for 9months until unfortunately this June, had a bad life event and did relapse....but no amount of pills would have prevented it. Still taking the Venlafaxine, and starting once again to feel more positive...i dread to think where I would be, or how I would feel if I didn't take it.
    Hope this helps...but obviously everyone reacts differently to certain meds, so your experience may be entirely different, but I would give it a good go definately. Please feel free to PM me anytime if you want to chat some more or get any more advice or support.
    Take care, hugs Kate :)

6. Tony7

Tony7 Member

hi, and thanks very much to Dazzle and Katykate.
    Dazzle, its a GP that I saw not a psych.
    I cant even begin to imagine how id go about seeing anyone else other than a GP. Plus it would mean i would have to admit to a major problem, then if I had to have appointments, id have to arrange time off work. which is virtually impossible. But then I would have to tell my work why, and it would all make things more stressful, and awful!
    Katy, Thanks for all of your input. Im glad to hear that venlafaxine works well for you. Im hoping it kicks in soon with me too.

7. DannyBoy

DannyBoy Well-Known Member

I'm on 300mg of it right now. I have a lot of mood swings on it.

You probably want to take more of it. It's been helping to get me out of the pit though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.