Employers and depression- advice please

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Queequeg, Apr 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Queequeg

Queequeg New Member

Hi all,

I'm new here. I joined this group because last Friday I took a handful of painkillers- after which my husband took me to the hospital. They let me go that night, but I'm pretty much a mess, even now.

So, here's where I stand right now. I get up and go to work, I do a good job, everyone at work thinks I'm happy and has no clue what's going on with me. I push everything down for a while to cope. I told my supervisor that I need to use my vacation time in little increments to leave early one day a week. I didn't tell her it's to see a counselor, I just told her it's personal.

Now she's giving me grief about it, and her boss is insisting that if I need personal time off that I need to make the time up. So, if I have to leave 2 hours early on Wednesday, I have to work over 1/2 every other day that week.

I know, 30 minutes, what's the big deal, right? I drive 45 minute (when the traffic is GOOD) one way to work. I have to do everything at home because my Schizophrenic husband is so self involved he can't even wash his own clothes, much less help me with dinner or take out the trash.

I'm exahusted. When I come home, I just want to sleep and sleep until I have to get up in the morning to go to work. Can my employer do this to me??? If I have time that they have given me saved up, why can't I use it? I don't want everyone know that I am struggling like this, but I don't know how else to get them to understand. :depressed

2. Insignificant

Insignificant Account Closed

i see that you live in the states. i do as well. my employer is really good about making sure i get the time off to go to these appts. i have also been hospitalized four times sinse i began with them and there is the americans with disabilities act. i would look into that and see if that offers you any of the coverage that you're looking for. it's worked for me. in the meantime please take care of yourself and keep trying things will work out.

btw :welcome: to sf feel free to continue to share. we'll listen
  3. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

You are entitled to that time off if you have earned it. You may have to tell them you are under the care of a medical doctor, am not sure about that, but you do not have to state what the reason is according to HIPPA laws. Is your time split into vacation, personal, medical etc? if they won't allow you oersonal leave can you take it as medical? They cannot force you to say what the medical condition is.They have no right to give you grief over taking the time off. Please check into your rights as an employee. I cannot say where you stand as every state does things differently, but I do know there are federal mandates that must be followed as well. Good luck. :hug:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.