Emptiness after 22

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by stuckinchicago6, May 7, 2010.

1. stuckinchicago6

stuckinchicago6 Well-Known Member

Yesterday seems like the beginning of the end. I have nothing to look forward to, but getting older. 16 was a milestone, as was 18 and especially 21. My 21st birthday was terrible though and I will never get it back. While yesterday ended up being a pretty alright night, I realized that this was not a significant birthday and I will never have a "happy milestone" birthday again. They will all simply be another year older. Some might argue 25, 30, or 40 or 50. However, those just do not seem the same. There are no new privileges that come with those birthdays.

The thing that really sucks is that with 18 and even 21, I didn't get freedom. I have spent my entire college career at home. University is near my house, so it makes sense. Maybe I will go to law school out of state, but without any help from my dad, I doubt my mother will be willing or able to spend the money. I just hope better days are ahead than are behind.
  2. Forgotten_Man

Forgotten_Man Well-Known Member

Birthdays are overrated in my opinion. I don't think anything good happened to celebrate that day. I am sorry you had such a crappy birthday. I hope you find better days ahead of you.
  3. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

Nothing significant happened to me during my 'milestone' birthdays I didn't even celebrate them, so I'd have to agree with Forgotten Man... birthdays are definitely overrated. You're just another year older, other than that nothing really ever changes or anything of utmost importance happens other than being able to drink and vote.
    Don't dwell on them, because when you think about it - what's the big deal really? All you did was age.
  4. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

I've never had a birthday party. All of my birthday's were the same-- just another day (with cake. but... alot of my days involve cake)
    Although 'legally'- I gained more freedom and responsibility at these milestones; I never felt any different. I was always allowed to drink and smoke if I wanted to- but never did. I was driving the family car before I even turned 15 and went to get my first tattoo with my mom at 16. Nothing was really a big deal...
    Nothing really is a big deal when you think about it.
    But-- you aren't a child anymore and it's up to you to from now on to do what is best for you.
    No one else should be the one to decide who you are or what you do.

So just do your best and celebrate being alive each year that you are around. Celebrate what you have learned and lost and gained. Anything can happen in the coming years. Screw 'milestones'
  5. Forgotten_Man

Forgotten_Man Well-Known Member

You can celebrate what I celebrate, being on year closer to death.
  6. stuckinchicago6

stuckinchicago6 Well-Known Member

Hi all! Thanks for lots of the positivity. As well as some of the negativity and indifference. lol!
  7. perry_mason

perry_mason Well-Known Member

imo birthdays are just another dya and celebrations are bullshit.

im 24 and neever ever had a birthdya party even when i wsa little.

ive had n ofreidns to celebrate my 18th.
    i have no friends tro get drunk wiht me on my 21st (im guessing i ogot drunk alone with myself)

apart from my paretns and stuff i dont thik ive even got a birthdya card from any1.

so yeah i wouldnt worry bout it reallt, its just another day.
  8. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

I spent my 53rd birthdya all alone.. No cards, no phone calls, No presents..I gave my sister a card $100 , and baked her a cake.. I didn;t even get a card from her..Live and learn. No more Mr. Nice Guy...