Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by serena, Aug 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. serena

serena Well-Known Member

How can I fill or distract from the overwhelming emptiness and feeling of being alone in the world. using the computer becomes avoidance so i can't do that but i don't know what else to do. i hate being by myself or even being in a room where i don't have any close attachments. i can't tolerate this feeling
  2. Decode

Decode Well-Known Member

You could try joining some kind or club, something that you enjoy, this may help you meet some like minded people and you might make some more friends. Joining some kind of local activity or club would be good way of distrating yourself. Do you have any interests, maybe pusuing some might keep you busy.
  3. What do you do when you run out of distractions?! Then what!? Thats when the anxiety puts you in a choke hold and refuses to let go. Shit sucks!
  4. serena

serena Well-Known Member

and then distractions can turn into avoidance... vicious cycle
  5. samanthaislost

samanthaislost New Member

I have come to the conclusion that distraction is waste of time, money and energy, and that in the end, it is better to feel whatever it is we are feeling, however painful, and to cry it all out. I often think that I couldn't stand the feeling of emptiness I have, if I truly allowed myself to feel it, but that's only because I spend so much time trying to avoid feeling it. And in reality, when I fill myself with distractions, and they don't get rid of the emptiness, the emptiness feels even worse.

Another thing I am trying to do with my feelings (as well as actually feeling them) is to express them. Everyone has their own way of doing that. I am doing it by keeping reading and writing about it.

It may sound self-indulgent, but I find immersion works better for me than avoidance. With immersion, you get a sense of finally being satiated, and discover new strength by facing your pain. That's been my experience anyway.
  6. lachrymose27

lachrymose27 Well-Known Member

finding work, going to school, most importantly, setting a positive goal for yourself detracts quite well from this negative energy
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.