empty life

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by GA_lost, Oct 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GA_lost

GA_lost Well-Known Member

I am posting here because the life I lead is so empty. This situation could easily end in a suicide attempt. Last week, I spent a couple of nights at Gettysburg. While I was there, I came out of my depression. Being home again has shown me again how empty my life is. I do not work anymore and have few social contacts. I have found that I can not help my mother much because it tends to emotionally exhaust me. I feel useless with nothing to live for. I recently read that the baby boomers (which I am a part of) have an increase in the suicide rate. I think I understand why. I have come to the end of my working life; I am not married, and I have few contacts. What am I living for?
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

time to make more contacts for younow. Get involved into community outings events take a course of interest to meet people that are like you. time to change your routine to include new things. time to fill up that empty life of yours okay. You have felt happiness and can still feel it take time out for you okay and do what brings you enjoyment.
  3. GA_lost

GA_lost Well-Known Member

I wish it was as easy as planning more things. I have tried classes, outings, volunteer work, and a seasonal job. I have found it hard to continue these due to depression and social anxiety. When I have gone out alone, I begin to feel more alone. I realize that becoming involved in a church group or some other social group may resolve some of these issues. I am scared to try to get into a social group. I am afraid that people will not like me and reject my attempts.
  4. Duke

Duke Member

Hey maybe you should try craigslist. They have a section for strictly platonic relationships...you could advertise that you're looking for someone to hang out with (do an activity that you like and are good at, even something simple and fun as bowling or poker). This way, if someone replies, you will automatically know that they are as equally invested in wanting to make this friendship as you are.
    Think about it: they wouldn't reply if they didn't want to be friends. There's no social anxiety there, they're equally afraid that you won't like them.
    And don't get discouraged if nobody replies right away...it took me a couple months before someone replied to mine but now we're great friends and I've never been happier. And while you're on craigslist, browse around. There's a ton of cool stuff people want to sell or trade, maybe you'll find something that peaks your interest. Hope this helps, let me know!

Ps I think you should check out that church group. Every church I've been to (moved 6 times as a kid) has had a wonderful and accepting group full of nice people who would love to have you.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.