Encouraging Quotes

Discussion in 'Positive Feelings and Motivational Messages' started by blue542, Sep 23, 2004.

1. blue542

blue542 Staff Alumni

I'm not a poet, I wish I had the mind to throw it all together. I created this thread to post some encouraging quotes, humorous or quite serious. I'll even start.

Adapted from Robert Louis Stevenson

2. laxgirl

laxgirl Well-Known Member

Here's some...

"The soul would have no rainbow, had the eye no tears." -Author Unknown

"When you come to the edge of all the light you know and are about to step off into the darkness of the unknown, faith is knowing one of two things will happen: There will be something solid to stand on or you will be taught to fly." -Donna

"To accomplish great things we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe." -Anatole France

sahel, Shailene, Zozeebo and 2 others like this.
  3. blue542

blue542 Staff Alumni

Alice Roosevelt Longworth's view on life:

4. blue542

blue542 Staff Alumni

This one comes courtesy of Chrissy: (laxgirl)

-Harper Lee (1926 - ), To Kill a Mockingbird, 1960

5. blue542

blue542 Staff Alumni

On the light side, here's one that has significant meaning to me:

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

Emo Philips

6. laxgirl

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."
    -Martin Luther King, Jr

Brittless likes this.
  7. laxgirl

"The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude to me is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than what other people think or say or do. It is more than appearance, gift, or skill. It will make or break a company...a church...a home. The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past...The only thing we can do is play on the string we have and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me, and 90% how I react to it. And so it is with you...we are in charge of our attitudes." -Charles Swindoll

Serein, Brittless and nothing_left like this.
  8. simon

simon Antiquitie's Friend

thankx blue542 for the emo phillips quote, it made me :D

9. raw

raw Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are.

EE Cummings

10. "It is not in the stars to hold your destiny, but in ourselves.

Be who you are, and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind

Work like you don't need the money, live like it's the last day, love likes it's the first time, and dance like nobody's watching!

'Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward'

11. "Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference"

To the optimist, the glass is half full.
    To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.
    To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.
    To the plumber, any liquid in the glass is potential income.

Sticks and stones are hard on bones,
    aimed with angry art
    words can sting like anything,
    but silence breaks the heart... -Phyllis mcgenlee

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hang on. -- Thomas Jefferson

Brielle likes this.
  12. i like this one!- 5. 'We could learn a lot from crayons: some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, some have weird names, and all are different colours, but they all have to learn to live in the same box'

Brittless likes this.
  13. LostandConfused

LostandConfused Well-Known Member

The stars are always shining even if you can't see them :)

2 people like this.
  14. LostandConfused

LostandConfused Well-Known Member

Eternal Struggle, Always remeber:

If potatoes could fly then they would be chickens!
    (its ironic cos chickens cant fly)

O joy(!) lol

God Bless xoxoxox

15. Wonderstuff

Wonderstuff Staff Alumni

"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams." - Eleanor Roosevelt.

AdamTide likes this.
  16. The LORD is a refuge for the oppressed,
    a stronghold in times of trouble.
    Those who know your name will trust in you,
    for you, LORD, have never forsaken
    those who seek you.

PSALM 9:9-10

17. 'One day I will wipe away every tear from your eyes and I'll take away all the pain you have suffered on this earth' -Revelation 21:3-4

18. You may not know me, but I know everything about you I know when you sit down and when you rise up I am familiar with all your ways -Psalm 139:1-3

19. raw

raw Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life, as the obstacles which one has overcome while trying to succeed.

Booker T. Washington

nothing_left and AdamTide like this.
  20. blue542

blue542 Staff Alumni

Overnight my thread went from 4 replies to 17. I'm amazed. There have been some very meaningful quotes posted too. Here's one that struck me to be true:

nothing_left likes this.