End of the line

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by dec20, Jan 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dec20

dec20 Member

I can't believe it.

She told me to 'snap out of it'. Like it was that easy. Like she knew the pain I was feeling inside. Snap out of it? Like it was that easy? As if I wanted to feel this way? She spat it out like venom. I knew this day would come.

I have no idea what to do.
  2. Robin

Robin Guest

Hiyas Dec, unfortunately for some, this is how their loved ones deal with suffering from severe depression. I think the only thing worse that can happen is if you start believing it.

There is a good chance she knows she has said something wrong, but was emotionally unable to show it any other way.

As someone who has reacted in a similar fashion in the past to a loved one, I think the best way to reach for support is to reach for support they are capable of giving, anything else is likely to cause similar hostile reactions.
  3. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

I've had people say that to me. I couldn't believe it. Some later said they said that to give me a jolt to help me come out of my depression. Shows how much they know, as in very little.

I feel for you having had this experience. I never talk to the people who said that to me about depression ever again.
  4. Tobes

Tobes Well-Known Member

If it is depression, then "snap out of it" isn't very helpful. If not, it is good and simple advice. I've been depressed before, and been told to snap out of it, and I did. It was quite helpful. Granted, I was merely depressed, and not suffering from depression. On that note, how do you 2 know that dec20 is suffering from depression? S/He didn't say s/he was.
  5. Mortal Moon

Mortal Moon Well-Known Member

I'm not sure that's relevant, Tobes. Clinical depression is not the only factor that might prevent one from just "snapping out of it." It's not that simple.
  6. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

Hi Dec,
    I get the same thing from my family.. Half don't get it and the other half just don't talk to me.. You took a big step coming here and I am sure you will find we are very supportive.. Keep posting..
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.