Ending our lives will end the pain? Random thoughts (1)

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by snogo, Nov 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snogo

snogo Well-Known Member

You and I think, feel or believe it does. But does it really? Do you know anyone who has done it and come back to life to tell you?

Many say the following:

'I don't have / can't find any reasons to live'
    'This pain will only or truly end when I...'

After many years of thinking about why people (including myself) find suicide to be the most suitable (easy or convenient) solution to any kind of pain that they think or feel is unbearable even for one day or an hour, etc, I realised something.

It has something to do with what we believe death to be like.

We believe death to be the complete end of any kind of human emotion or sensation. But relief from pain is a kind of human emotion or sensation that can happen only if you are alive, isn't it? Why is one so sure one can 'feel' relief when one is dead? Or that mental or emotional pain will indeed stop after death?

Let me ask you something: is the state of sleeping the same as being comatose?

Both are definitely not the same. A coma patient does not have normal sleep/wake cycles. He or she wakes up when the body or maybe God decides that it is time to do so. No doctor can give any guarantees on the exact time period, for there will always be exceptions to any known cases.

Since coma means unable to be aroused or disturbed by any kind of vigorous or painful stimulation, I suspect that most of us actually or subconsciously want to become a coma patient than a suicide seeker. But given normal circumstances, people would want to or maybe want to convince themselves to keep a coma patient alive. Loved ones especially. Will a will end this painful dilemma for loved ones? I don't know. But if the law allows, I would make a will that helps soften or reduce the moral dilemma or emotional pain for the living, loved ones or medical professionals.

Another thing that leads people to seek suicide as the only solution can partly be attributed to the lack of religious belief or holding onto a misinterpreted one. Most established world religions (Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Buddhism, etc) if not all, forbid or firmly discourages the taking of lives and that includes the taking of one's life. Teachings from these religions state or drop serious hints that the ability to feel pain or joy of any kind is NOT lost at all even after death. As a side-note, Buddhism in particular explains this with more details in comparison and in an almost completely different point of view (feel free to pm me if you are interested or curious). I am sort of like a free-thinker interested in world religions and particularly became more interested in their teachings since I started feeling lousy about myself and about the state of events around the world.

End of random thoughts for today. See you later.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2014
  2. giardia

giardia New Member

I could highly agree with this and having been raised in the indoctrinated brain washing Catholic Church the fear is almost always in the back of my mind that ending it all would only end in punishment. I cannot see though how a God or deity of compassion and love would at least permanently punish someone who has had a harsh life.. I completely agree with the coma, that is what many here including myself (first post on this forum) want
  3. Big M

Big M Well-Known Member

Good points brought up. I think for some ( me anyways) a lack of belief in the afterlife is a big part of why I think ending my life will end the pain. It ends everything, happiness, sadness, joy. It's a sacrifice, to avoid pain. But you don't get to feel relief, you just don't get to feel pain anymore. If I thought there was a heaven or hell that would be different, I'm sure I'd still suffer from suicidal feelings, but that would be a whole different ball of wax. Death isn't sleep though, you're right. It would be nice if it were sleep. Death is where it all ends though in my book.
  4. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

It's quite unsettling in my soul to think of there being nothingness once one dies or there being something happening atfer death, either way it scares me. I thought I was ready for death now I am clinging onto life.
  5. Nothingness shouldn't scare you... it's what you had before you were born, for presumably an infinite amount of time. (unless time had a beginning..) On the other hand, there being something shouldn't really scare you (much?) either.. since - we are all going to die. It's simply a matter of sooner or later.

I think a lot of us really don't want to die, so much as (if it were an option) to be happy.. but after so much pain an misery, for too many decades.. the true hope of becoming suddenly happy after all this time is already laughable. Yet at the same time, it somehow helps. Like people who buy lottery tickets, who really have no actual idea how staggeringly bad the odds of winning are - they know they're bad, but they just hold out some hope anyway. Maybe they'll be they one! (in the 6/49 if you buy $20 of tickets every week for all of an 80 year life, you'd have to live over 120,000 lifetimes (9.6 million years) to bring your odds to 1 in 1 of winning)

And to the OP:

People seem to say this, but it is wrong. True, you won't *feel* any sort of relief, but, according to the definition of relief, you will most definitely GET relief. The pain is gone. That is relief. The fact that everything else is gone is beside the point. And in fact, presumably.. it's only really gone for you - the rest of the human race will get along just as before, just as they would/will if you were to die of natural causes. Death and taxes. and even taxes is a bit iffy at that.
  6. ToughItOut

ToughItOut Member

Oh without doubt; it's built in to even the most bubbly, energetic individual.

Here in the UK the weather is fairly dire from October through to March; dark mornings, dark evenings, cold, wet, windy, frosty, foggy, damp, icy, almost permanently grey, depressing skies.........if you were to ask a sample of the population if they could hibernate at the end of September and wake up in mid-March, I'd wager you'd get a huge "yes" vote.

And they'd take it every year of their life.

Hibernation / being in a coma.........what's the difference?
  7. denise_c

denise_c Active Member

@ToughItOut : It's funny you mention the lack of light because I'm seriously thinking about buying one of those "luminotherapy" things that mimmick sunlight. I think it could seriously help with my depression.

@snogo first message : I totally agree with the coma thing. Mostly, when we want to die, we want to wake up at another time, in another environnement, to another thoughts. But the thing is that we'll have to create that change ourselves, while awake and in pain. Depression is a demand for change in our lives and minds I believe.
  8. ToughItOut

ToughItOut Member

I'm sure it could although I should probably clarify my post; the weather here in the UK is dire all year round, it's just worse between October and March.

For some reason we suffer from almost permanent 100% grey cloud cover even in summer (and if we happen to get three days of blue skies and sunshine the tabloids all scream "phew what a scorcher - Britain hotter than Majorca" - what about the other 362 days of the year when it's colder here than Moscow?)

Weather and suicidal tendencies - there's a debating point.
  9. shadowonthewall

shadowonthewall Well-Known Member

It's only colder than Moscow here in the summer. What makes our winters so awful is that they are dark and grey, but with very little snow. Just a darker and bleaker extension of autumn, really.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.