1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ensure plus

Discussion in 'Self Care and Healthy Lifestyles' started by Ruby, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member

Has anybody heard of these drinks? I was prescribed them by the dietician I see.

2. My dad used to 'drink' something similar for quite some time (through an intrastomal device actually - as he'd had a stroke and couldn't really swallow properly). It was suggested/recommended by the hospital. It's very nutritious - has just about everything your body needs (including some fibre - but a fibre supplement is helpful as well). You could read the ingredients on the back of a can and see what % of daily recommended amounts of everything are really in it. However, I might add that if you're drinking it to lose weight, it would still be best to have an otherwise balanced diet, and not use it for all 3 meals. Not to mention that if it IS to lose weight - eventually going back to "real" food (which you will) is going to make it hard to keep it off - as is with all "diets" that are not a lifestyle change...

Why not Google the product and you'll find out what you wish to know further...

3. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply.

I'm actually classed as being underweight so I think it's to help me gain some weight.

4. :wink:

You're welcome! (hope it was helpful - but still go Google if you want)
    Good luck!!

5. zetaf

zetaf Well-Known Member

Me too... I drank these everyday for a while. They don't taste too bad cold, but for some reason they always seemed to make me feel kinda sick for like half an hour after drinking them. I don't know why.

6. To be honest I think they're pretty yummy... but maybe I'm just easy to please. I was prescribed them when I was in rehab becase I kept dropping weight but could hardly gain any before I started drinking it. I just wish it didn't cost so darn much :( so I could keep on it.

7. If it was an actual prescription, yeah that would help a LOT!
    As someone else mentioned, it's fairly pricey, unfortunately...
    Also, my dad's came in a case of 24 I think - though you'd probably get sick of one flavour!!

8. neverdie

neverdie Guest

9. -exposed-

-exposed- Member

i've been drinking them for awhile, I recommend drinking the vanilla kind because the chocolate and strawberry i personally found disgusting :p make sure you keep them cold and shake well before you drink them.