Entry level jobs?...

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by nolonger, Oct 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

Lol, been a while since I started a thread of my own but I've got a question. What are some entry level jobs I could get as a 16 year old?

Bit of an insight into why I'm asking this...

So today, my science teacher gave me back last terms assigntment and our results for the exam we did. For the assignment(which was 4 reports stapled together pretty much) I got a D+. So for that I failed, probly the first thing in my nearly 3 years of highschool that I've failed(C- or higher is classed as a pass at my school as far as I remember). On the exam I got a straight C. So on that I atleast passed, and for that term overall I passed.

At this point in time, I'm 'planning' on staying in school for year 11 and 12. I've chosen to study Maths, English(both not optional), Graphics, Accounting, Biology and Chemistry. I need to pass atleast 5 of 6 of those subjects; getting 20 points for my QCE(Queensland Certificate of Education - Senior Cert for doing school/showing you aren't a dumb shit etc). Mum and dad kinda said I am going to go to Uni to do a degree in Dentistry, so I gotta do the biology and chemistry and Maths B or something(there's 3 different types of Maths; PVM, Maths A and Maths B - Maths B is the hardest of them).

Long story short: English has speeches in it and I have terrible social anxiety and apparently if I fail the speeches I'd probly fail the entirity of English. Maths B is pretty fuck hard because my current teacher is showing us what some of it is like. So I'll probly do fairly crap in that too. I'm on the verge of failing my current Science class so I'll probly go overboard on Biology and Chemistry. Graphics I'll probly pass fairly easily as it isn't a very hard subject, the teachers are nice and it's one of the rarities as I'm getting an A in it. As for Accounting, well who the fuck knows. It was either that or Modern History, and there was speeches involved in MH so I just completely veered away from it. Which is a shame because History really interests me.

So chances are there is the possibilty of me failing/doing extremely shit in 4 of the 6 subjects, which is just depressing. It was only today in 3rd period when we were given our Science results for last term that I am starting to seriously question doing the next 2 years of schooling. Because If I don't pass 5 of the 6 subjects I chose, I won't get the 20 points of what ever for my QCE. Resulting in the wastage of the next 2 years when I could be just working or something.

My undiagnosed depression and anxiety can make it excruciatingly hard if not impossible to try and study or even pay minimum attention in class. I'm starting to feel as though part time(25 hours or what ever) work would be more beneficial and less demanding on my somewhat dieing mentality.

In saying that, and conlcuding that seemingly massive wall of text; what jobs would be good for an entry level 16 year old that's extremely shy/not much of a people person?

Any help is appreciated and if this is in the wrong area just shift it :tongue:. Thanks :)
  2. Tobes

Tobes Well-Known Member

I'd say there's lots of jobs you could get into. The first that comes to mind is at Woolworths/Coles/IGA, they love hiring teenagers and usually hire them part time or casual. If you don't want to work with customers, you could do Night Fill or in the Butchers department or something.

- But I will add that I once took a job at Woolies working with customers to get over my Social Anxiety, and it worked after a month or so.

My first job was a Mechanic's Assistant, which was an excellent starter, so some sort of Trade's Assistant job could work good for you as well. If you wanted to get an Apprenticeship or Traineeship, that would be worth leaving school over, but only those (or the Army/Air Force) and only if you knew you wanted to do a specific trade for a career down the line. I'd recommend you finish Year 12, because while employers can't ask what grades you got at school (Only TAFE and Universities can), you will probably need to put down when you left school on your resume/Application forms, and it won't look good if you left early just for some job (Lots of employers ask about your schooling in in an interview, but not what specific grades you got).

If you do decide to leave school for work though, think it through first (very well) because it is one of those life-changing deals (i.e applying for a job when you are 20 or 30 or 40 and telling them you quit school will give you a disadvantage)

Your best bet is to go around the local businesses and ask if they are hiring. Say that you want to get into the workforce early and that you are keen to work. Your school may have told you this already, but about 60-70% of available jobs go unadvertised. Plus you will look better for taking the initiative and actually hunting down a job, instead of waiting for one to show up.

I'm pretty sure you are saying that you want to get a job instead of go to school, but what I wrote is for getting a job you can do after school/on weekends or instead of.

EDIT: Check out These 2 Sites:

Job Guide

Both should have complete lists of Job types in Australia, and what skills/qualifications you may need for each job.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2010
  3. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Get antidepressants = more energy for school (and everything else too)
  4. johnnysays

johnnysays Well-Known Member

Give it a chance. Don't hesitate long enough to second guess yourself. Believe me, I've been there. Doubting oneself is a long perilous road. The educational expectations might not be the same because we live in different countries (different standards and all), but you shouldn't quit school without failing first. When you quit you'll lower your standards and also lower your self worth. Please reconsider.

I know where you're coming from on the social anxiety front. I have that too. It just stacks onto all of the other challenges. You need some insight from others. Don't you have friends to talk about this with or to share the schooling experience with?

Remember this quote: "Obstacles are those things you see when you take your eyes off the goal."
  5. Viro

Viro Well-Known Member

That's a tough position to be in, though - it's going to be very hard to deal with your parents when they realize that you won't become a dentist.

I'm currently looking for jobs as well, and I'm halfway across the world, so I can't really help you in a practical way. :(
  6. Viro

Viro Well-Known Member

Oh, and I'm assuming it's not possible for you to be excused from the public speaking portion of the course?
  7. nolonger

Far as I've heard....no. Wish I could but knowing my year level and the kids that are in it, everyone would opt out if they could :laugh:.

At the moment, I think I'll 'try' and go through with the next 2 years. Mind you the principal etc would be asking why my grades are so shit and my parents are already starting to say "Pull your finger out". :laugh:

If I tell my parents or give them the notion that I'm 97%(lol) not going to become a dentist they'll probly ask "Then what are you going to do????". Personally, I have no idea. Something where I don't really have to deal with many people. Maybe a night shift job? Night time always seemed to appeal to me. Then again that's probly because there's little to no one out on the roads and it's nice and quiet :tongue:.

The principal and the deputy earlier this year were all talking to us as a group about the QCE's and the next 2 years of schooling. Stuff like "Out of all the kids that graduated last year, 2 didn't get a QCE." Well actually I can't remember if that was even said. But there was something mentioned like that. So it'd be a bit awkward if I don't get one. The good thing being I'll be kind of expecting not to get one.

PS - ty for the replies :)
  8. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Oh, by the by, I've managed to avoid presentations with about half my high school teachers. Try to negotiate; don't try to avoid it altogether, but ask if you can present it to the teacher and a few friends as the only audience. It's more-or-less the same as far as the assignment goes, your other classmates can assume or be told you got zero, and it's much less anxiety provoking.
  9. johnnysays

johnnysays Well-Known Member

So you can't be anything other than a dentist? Seems like a raw deal to me. Your parnets are helping you with the college loans? I assume that means they won't pay if you don't pursue dentistry? Raw deal.

Let me warn you though: If you quit, you won't like yourself, it will lower your standards, and you'll feel shame.

I think you should negotiate with your parents to change the degree to something you're more comfortable with. I had to take a speech class in college. I clammed up in a speech for one class I had (halfway through I couldn't speak and just sat there for a minute). It was even worse when I was getting teased in GS and HS constantly and was expected to stand in front of my tormentors to do a speech.

Number #1 thing is don't let your fear of people control you. It has destroyed me so far. Don't let it destroy you. YOU are the boss!
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2010
  10. nolonger

No, I think I could do something other than dentistry if I wanted too. Mum and dad(and me I guess) know it suits me best - personality wise. Because I don't really have to talk to anyone considering they'll have various didn't probes and drills in their mouth :tongue:. Plus it's insanely good money, and of course parents want the best for their kids :laugh:.

If I was to pursue a different career they would probly help out with the Uni fees. But over here you can delay paying your Hex fees(course fees etc) until you earn a certain amount of money per year.

It's just that I have little motivation to do anything. I can be detered or dissatisfied easly, so I'm not the happiest person - blah blah blah I'm sure you know the story :tongue:.

I was thinking of asking for help with my anxiety and even the depression(if mum isn't in the room at the time). But I don't know. It probly won't happen because knowing me I just put it off...and put if off....get too scared so I put it off. Ya know -___-
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.